Twenty months after the South Routt School District announced it would close because of a burgeoning coronavirus, COVID-19 is more prevalent in South Routt than ever before.
Faces of the Frontlines: A series of profiles of local people serving on the frontlines during the COVID-19 pandemic
What to do
Before immediately heading to the hospital, people who are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, the new coronavirus, have several resources, including:
- The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is providing a phone line to answer questions from the public about COVID-19. Call CO-Help at 303-389-1687 or 877-462-2911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for answers in English and Spanish, Mandarin and more.
- UCHealth Yampa Valley Medical Center offers Ask-A-Nurse, a 24/7 call line staffed by registered nurses who can assess symptoms and provide advice on seeking care. In Routt County, Ask-A-Nurse can be reached by calling 970-871-7878.
- Virtual Visits can be done from the comfort of your home and only require a computer or tablet with a working webcam, speakers and microphone, or a smartphone.
- If patients are experiencing severe symptoms or having difficulty breathing, they should visit the hospital’s emergency department.
How to protect yourself
- Avoid contact with people who are sick and stay home if you are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cover coughs and sneezes with your inner elbow shirt sleeve or a tissue, and then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as desks, doorknobs, handrails, etc.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing
- Get your flu shot, and stay up-to-date on other routine childhood and adult immunizations
WATCH: Staff at UCHealth Yampa Valley Medical Center in Steamboat Springs demonstrate the procedure for when a suspected infected patient comes to the emergency department.
Resources for reliable information
- Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention travel information
- Routt County Public Health
- UCHealth (Yampa Valley Medical Center)
- Real-time information about the virus is available on the Colorado Health Emergency Hotline: 1-877-462-2911.