4 Steamboat athletes named to national cross country, freestyle ski teams
U.S. Ski and Snowboard named 21 athletes to the U.S. Cross Country Ski Team for the 2021-22 season, including Steamboat Springs athlete Noel Keeffe.
Olympic gold medalist Jessie Diggins leads the A team alongside Rose Brennan and Hailey Swirbul, out of Aspen. The men’s A team has a pair of youngsters in JC Schoonmaker and Gus Schumacher, who won two golds at the 2020 FIS Junior World Championship.
Keeffe, who skied at the University of Utah, was named to the development team. He made his World Cup debut in January 2020.
The 31-person Freestyle Ski Team was also announced Tuesday, including three athletes who skied for the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club.
The aerials team features four men and eight women. The moguls team is composed of seven men and eight women. Jaelin Kauf, who trained in Steamboat through high school, is one of the veterans on the team and is training to return to her second Olympics alongside Vail’s Tess Johnson. Olivia Giaccio, who is from Connecticut but trained in Steamboat, was named to the national team for a sixth time.
Cross Country Team
• Rosie Brennan, Anchorage, Alaska
• Jessie Diggins, Afton, Minnesota
• Hailey Swirbul, Aspen
• Gus Schumacher, Anchorage
• JC Schoonmaker, Tahoe City, California
• Julia Kern, Waltham, Massachusetts
• Katharine Ogden, Landgrove, Vermont
• Sydney Palmer-Leger, Park City, Utah
• Kevin Bolger, Minocqua, Wisconsin
• Scott Patterson, Anchorage
• Logan Hanneman, Anchorage
• Hannah Holverson, Truckee, California
• Novie McCabe, Winthrop, Washington
• Kendall Kramer, Fairbanks, Alaska
• Sophia Laukli, Yarmouth, Maine
• Johnny Hagenbuch, Ketchum, Idaho
• Luke Jager, Anchorage
• Noel Keeffe, Steamboat
• Zanden McMullin, Anchorage
• Ben Ogden, Landgrove, Vermont
• Hunter Wonders, Anchorage
Aerial Ski Team
• Quinn Dehlinger, Cincinnati, Ohio
• Chris Lillis, Pittsford, New York
• Eric Loughran, Pelham, New Hampshire
• Justin Schoenefeld, Lawrenceburg, Indiana
• Ashley Caldwell, Ashburn, Virginia
• Karenna Elliott, Cincinnati, Ohio
• Kaila Kuhn, Boyne City, Michigan
• Dani Loeb, Pintala, Alabama
• Megan Nick, Shelburne, Vermont
• Megan Smallhouse, Reno, Nevada
• Tasia Tanner, Park City
• Winter Vinecki, Gaylord, Michigan
Moguls Ski Team
• Casey Andringa, Boulder
• Jesse Andringa, Boulder
• Joel Hedrick, Fort Collins
• Alex Lewis, Carlisle, Massachusetts
• Nick Page, Park City
• Landon Wendler, Steamboat
• Brad Wilson, Butte, Montana
• Olivia Giaccio, Redding, Connecticut
• Tess Johnson, Vail
• Kasey Hogg, Park City
• Madison Hogg, Park City
• Jaelin Kauf, Alta, Wyoming
• Kai Owens, Vail
• Morgan Schild, Pittsford, New York
• Hannah Soar, Somers, Connecticut
• Elizabeth Lemley, Vail
• Alli Macuga, Park City
• Dylan Marcellini, Walnut Creek, California
• Cole McDonald, Park City
To reach Shelby Reardon, call 970-871-4253, email sreardon@SteamboatPilot.com or follow her on Twitter @ByShelbyReardon.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.