Steamboat mountain bikers place at state
October 24, 2018
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Some of Steamboat Springs’ best mountain bikers competed in the Colorado High School Cycling League State Championships in Durango.
Cam Owens, a state champion last year in the sophomore division, repeated his title in the junior varsity division, earning a spot on varsity for next year.
Owens raced with the leaders’ pack for two laps before making a move on the third to pedal to victory in 1 hour, 23 minutes and 16 seconds.
Alden Wade placed 19th overall, and Daniel Kempers added a 40th placing out of 159 riders. Louis Bartels placed 35th out of 158 competitors in the sophomore division. Bartels was followed by Forrest Christian, 59th, Dylan Kuntz, 64th, Jaxson Fryer, 67th, and Gunnar Gilbertson, 79th. Liesel Wilkinson finished 35th in the freshman division, which had 148 competitors.
Reilly Mewborn led the pack of Steamboat girls in the junior varsity division, placing 19th out of 85 competitors. Rose Epstein placed 18th out of 57 competitors in the sophomore division.
The Steamboat Springs team also received the North All-Star Team Award, which acknowledges a team that displays exceptional leadership skills, sportsmanship and commitment, provides service to their community and consistently goes above and beyond assisting with race production.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Defense not enough to pull off victory for Sailors hockey
- NCAA Alpine skiers earn cash prizes under the lights of Holiday Classic at Steamboat’s Howelsen Hill
- RESULTS: Larry Johnson Memorial RMD and IMD Junior National Qualifier at Howelsen Hill, Jan. 11 to 12
- Steamboat Springs athletes rejoice in first international women’s Nordic combined competition on U.S. soil
- SSWSC skiers place at Copper Mountain halfpipe competition
- UPDATED: Backcountry skier dies on Quandary Peak in Summit County
- Marriott hotel on Pine Grove Road moves forward in Steamboat planning process
- Train derailment closes Bell, Moffat and Sharp avenues in Oak Creek
- Steamboat, Forest Service to hire outside group to lead discussions on Mad Rabbit project in Routt National Forest
- Colorado State Patrol uses airplanes to monitor car speeds along US Highway 40