Runners to tackle the Cog in Hayden
May 5, 2017
Steamboat Springs — Steamboat Springs Running Series organizers have added two races to their calendar, including a scenic run in North Routt County up Hahn's Peak.
The Running Series kicks off Saturday with the Hayden Cog Run.
"Weather should be good," said Cara Marrs, who is directing the series with Luke Crespin.
The Cog Run will feature both 8.4-mile and 5K distances, as well as a fun run for the kids.
The 8.4-mile distance is a lung buster as it sends runners up the Cog on Routt County Road 76.
The 5K is an out-and-back on Routt County Road 53.
Recommended Stories For You
The races start at 10 a.m.
Online registration is closed, but people can register on site from 9 to 9:45 a.m. at Hayden Town Park on South Third Street.
The course record for the men is held by Mark Warner with a time of 48 minutes and 25 seconds.
Chris Trucco holds the record for women with a time of 56 minutes and 34 seconds.
The Cog Run will be followed by the May 20 Spirit Challenge and the Steamboat Marathon, half marathon, 10K and fun run June 4.
The two new races this year will be in July and October.
On July 8, runners will start and finish at Columbine Cabins and run up and down Hahn's Peak for a total of about 10 miles.
"So, hard, but the distance is doable," Marrs said.
The run will provide amazing views of the valley below.
"For years, people have been asking for us to have a race up north," Marrs said. "I think it's going to be great."
The new race in October will be a family-friendly, 5K run in the area of Steamboat Springs Middle School. Costumes will be encouraged.
Like past years, points will be awarded throughout the season to crown winners for the series.
For more information about the Running Series and to register for races, visit runningseries.com.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Steamboat Springs High School football takes 40-7 win over Hotchkiss on new Gardner Field
- New climbing gym aiming for August opening in Steamboat Springs
- Steamboat’s Freedman third at trail running world championship
- Looking ahead: Steamboat football putting pieces together for road rivalry
- Sports Briefs: Steamboat football, volleyball fall in road competitions
- Iconic Steamboat auctioneer Cookie Lockhart says everything must go
- Steamboat Resort gets final Forest Service approval for additional lifts, expanded terrain
- Steamboat woman recovering after series of strokes, heart attack
- Former Wing-Time owner hoping his new venture will take flight
- Routt County real estate sales total $12.6M for Oct. 5 to 11, 2018