Second-half lapse sinks Sailors |

Second-half lapse sinks Sailors

Girls lacrosse team falls 9-7 versus Summit

Steamboat senior Becky Brown looks for a way to get a shot off Tuesday against Summit. Brown scored two goals in the game, but the Tigers mounted a second-half comeback to win, 9-7.

— It was cool Tuesday at Gardner Field in Steamboat Springs, and the precipitation wavered between cold rain, light snow and heavier snow.

The mood of the Steamboat Springs High School girls lacrosse team after their game against Summit County reflected that gloomy weather.

Tuesday's game had the makings of one of the easier tests for the Sailors, in the midst of one of the program's stronger seasons. Instead, it was a 9-7 loss.

"For us, it's a big loss," senior Becky Brown said. "We all came out here feeling like we could win. We felt like we were the better team going into the game, so it's a tough loss."

Steamboat dropped to 5-7, while Summit improved to 3-7.

By the end of the first half, it seemed the Sailors might be able to run away with the game. They led 6-3 at the break.

Recommended Stories For You

Instead, the afternoon proved to be one filled with streaks, and Summit had the first and the final to secure the win. The Tigers scored three of the day's first four goals for a 3-1 lead.

Steamboat then answered in a big way. The team started with a goal from Brown, then four in a row from freshman Lucy Shimek and one final shot from Brown.

Brown racked up three assists and Abby Vandergraaff had one.

It amounted to a 5-0 run to give Steamboat its 6-3 lead.

"We were moving the ball up the field amazing the first 10 minutes of the game," junior Cassett Yeager said.

Racking up assists on four of six goals was a big indicator to the Sailors things were going well.

"We were definitely connecting on our passes," Brown said. "It was good passing, good attacking and good communication.

But for everything that had gone right in the first half, something went wrong in the second.

Summit came out more focused, and Steamboat struggled to maintain possession. The Tigers rallied, scoring two quick goals to make it 6-5.

Steamboat did have one big highlight in that span: freshman goalie Sequoia Anstine, playing her first game of the season in net.

She finished with 12 saves, nine in the second half, and she almost, single-handedly kept her team's one-goal lead as the clock ticked down.

"She played fantastic," coach Betsy Frick said. "She kept us in the second half."

Summit finally broke through to tie things up at the 13 minute, 23 second mark, however.

"We played a really good half the first half. Then, in the second half, we didn't have the intensity," Frick said. "We were trying to do some long passes that weren't working. We just were off a little bit."

Steamboat answered with a goal from Brittney Starks with 5:56 remaining in the game, but Summit tied it up again within a minute, then took the lead with 2:16 left. Steamboat's last best chance to tie fell short, and the Tigers put the game away with one final goal.

"I knew it wasn't a gimme," Frick said, "but we easily had the capability to win today, so I'm a little disappointed we didn't."

Next up for Steamboat is a tough game at 4 p.m. Thursday at home against Battle Mountain, 9-1 on the season. The Huskies beat Steamboat 20-4 on April 13.

To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253, email or follow him on Twitter @JReich9