Girls lacrosse gets first win of season
March 12, 2016
Steamboat Springs — Despite having to play shorthanded, the Steamboat Springs High School girls' lacrosse team finished its three-game trip in Santa Fe, New Mexico, with an 18-3 win against Rio Rancho on Saturday.
"It was fabulous. It was a great experience, great weather," SSHS coach Betsy Frick said. "We played really well — worked well together and then had many, many more assisted goals this time."
The Sailors led 9-1 at halftime and assisted on 11 of its 18 goals. Lucy Shimek led the team with seven goals, followed Sammy Koepfer with five. Rounding out the scoring was Ellie Crouch with three, Cassett Yeager with two and Becky Brown with one.
Shimek also led the team with four assists. Brittney Starks recorded three saves in goal.
Steamboat ended its opening weekend with a 1-2 record after close losses Thursday and Friday.
"It was a great start to our season," Frick said. "Everybody that was able to make the trip got tons of experience, and the team, as a whole, improved a lot this weekend."
Recommended Stories For You
The Sailors are off until Saturday when they host Durango at 10 a.m. in their home opener at Gardner Field.
Trending In: Prep Sports
- Hayden community mourns death of high school wrestling coach Chad Jones
- Estimated $4K intended for nonprofits stolen at Run Rabbit Run race in Steamboat
- Cedar Beauregard: New bike trails are destroying elk habitat
- Memorial service planned for Jones; community invited to celebrate life
- Steamboat City Council approves Brynn Grey annexation agreement