Boys lacrosse wins third straight
April 2, 2016
Steamboat Springs — In its first road game of the season Saturday at Grand Junction, the Steamboat Springs High School boys’ lacrosse team extended its winning streak to three games with a 12-7 victory over the Tigers.
“It was a good game. The boys played well,” Steamboat coach Jay Lattimore said. “They got our number at the end of last year and were able to beat us. I know a lot of the seniors this year were looking for a little payback, and they did a great job of delivering it."
The Sailors led 5-2 at halftime and never looked back. Davis Petersen led the team with five goals, continuing his impressive sophomore campaign. Behind him, seniors Drew Williamson, Jackson Draper and Joe DeLine each had two goals, while Tait Dixson had one.
Junior Peter Wharton had 15 saves in goal.
Steamboat (4-2) has a busy week ahead. The Sailors host Thompson Valley on Wednesday before hosting Aspen and Cheyenne Mountain Friday and Saturday.
"Good momentum this week,” Lattimore said of the three consecutive wins. “Guys are definitely learning from their mistakes and not putting themselves in tough situations."
Recommended Stories For You
Grand Junction fell to 2-2 with the loss.
Trending In: Prep Sports
- Hayden community mourns death of high school wrestling coach Chad Jones
- Community voices concerns about hospital merger at town hall meeting
- Estimated $4K intended for nonprofits stolen at Run Rabbit Run race in Steamboat
- Memorial service planned for Jones; community invited to celebrate life
- Steamboat City Council approves Brynn Grey annexation agreement