Freestylers ski hard in Telluride
March 4, 2016
Steamboat Springs — The U18 freestyle skiers with the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club had another strong weekend last week and are now flying toward the end of their season.
The team competes this weekend in Winter Park in the divisionals contest; then, its top members will head next week to junior national championships in Sun Valley, Idaho.
Now, the team is coming off another strong performance last week in Telluride.
Zach Rosa led the way for local skiers, placing sixth in a Saturday moguls competition, then fourth a day later.
Tyler Strnad was seventh Saturday and ninth Sunday, while Ben Hoefer, 32nd Saturday, had one of his best performances of the season in placing 10th Sunday.
"He's really coming on," coach Mike Powell said. "He's been struggling, but he busted out Sunday."
Recommended Stories For You
Landon Wendler, meanwhile, was 12th and 14th, and Tallak Myhre was 30th both days.
Rosa, Strnad, Wendler and Hoefer all will compete at junior nationals next week. Kenzie Radway was also invited, but won't make the trip.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Steamboat Springs boys soccer falls to Battle Mountain, 7-2
- New climbing gym aiming for August opening in Steamboat Springs
- Steamboat boys tennis goes 1-1 at home matches, cross country sees more success
- Burger family leads the way in city tennis championships
- RESULTS: Fall 2018 Routt County high school sports scores
- Hayden community mourns death of high school wrestling coach Chad Jones
- Community voices concerns about hospital merger at town hall meeting
- Estimated $4K intended for nonprofits stolen at Run Rabbit Run race in Steamboat
- Memorial service planned for Jones; community invited to celebrate life
- Housing Authority awarded $13.5M in tax credits to build next affordable housing project in Steamboat