Loretta Van Norstrand: No vote a mistake
April 21, 2016
I was very unhappy the Republican Party made the decision to eliminate the vote of the people to express their support for a presidential candidate.
This tells everyone that a few party insiders decide for all. It said to the bulk of us in the Republican Party, "your opinion doesn't count; we know what's best for you."
As a life-long Republican, it brings serious questions as to why this decision was recently made (a few months ago). I have spoken to many who decided not to attend their caucus because of the cancelled vote. I was one.
So, the real result was to discourage caucus participation by regular Republicans, and that is only the beginning. Now, because of this, people are leaving the party. Maybe that is what you planned so the influence of elites and insiders is not diluted by those pesky GOP voter opinions.
Loretta Van Norstrand
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Hayden community mourns death of high school wrestling coach Chad Jones
- Estimated $4K intended for nonprofits stolen at Run Rabbit Run race in Steamboat
- Cedar Beauregard: New bike trails are destroying elk habitat
- Community voices concerns about hospital merger at town hall meeting
- Memorial service planned for Jones; community invited to celebrate life