Bill Hindman: Train article brought back memories
May 17, 2017
"The Last Train" feature in the April 30 Steamboat Pilot brought back fun memories for me.
As a counselor at the Lowell Whiteman Camp for Boys, I met young men from the East and Midwest as they stepped off the train at the Steamboat Depot. This was in the early 1950s.
We then loaded them and their luggage into the camp truck and took them to the F.M. Light store to buy cowboy hats and boots to use for the eight weeks of summer camp. It was a very appropriate way for them to arrive in the wild west, and the train ride was a big part of it.
I enjoy your front page feature articles each week — always interesting and informative. Thanks to all who make the paper so outstanding.
Recommended Stories For You
Kiawah Island, South Carolina, and Clark
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Routt County real estate sales total $19.5M for Oct. 12 to 18, 2018
- Warm, dry year breaks records in the Yampa River Basin
- Top 10 stories of the week: Longtime business closes, Steamboat Resort news and wilderness rescue
- Steamboat tradition transitions as resort moves into new era
- Slim jim: The Record for Friday, Oct. 19, 2018