Monday Medical: World-class medical resources close to home
April 3, 2016
Steamboat Springs — Your local doctors might be based in Steamboat Springs, but they have world-class medical resources available at their fingertips.
Yampa Valley Medical Center has been part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network for the past two years. In March of 2014, YVMC became the second hospital in Colorado to join the network. Hospitals must pass a rigorous selection process that has criteria such as patient care and clinical excellence.
Being part of the network is an honor itself: to be invited to join, hospitals must share Mayo Clinic's commitment to delivering the best health care possible. That means a focus on high quality medical care, where decisions are driven by data and based on results.
Any time your local YVMC physician has a question on a complicated case or wants a second opinion on the best treatment plan, he or she can access premier medical expertise with a quick call or a search online. There are three separate programs physicians can use to access Mayo Clinic's expertise and enhance the care they provide to patients:
• eConsult: Through an eConsult, a physician can ask a Mayo Clinic specialist to review a patient's case. The specialist may review medical records, imaging studies and lab tests, and can then answer a physician's specific questions about diagnosis and treatment.
This service is especially helpful in more complex cases, where having a second set of eyes to review a diagnosis or treatment plan can be both reassuring and insightful. And, the physician gets top-notch feedback on the case without the patient ever having to leave the Yampa Valley.
Recommended Stories For You
• AskMayoExpert: Google is great, but when physicians have specific questions, they can turn to this online database. With a few quick searches, physicians can find expert, reliable clinical information on hundreds of conditions and treatments, all of which helps them offer the best care possible. A range of resources is available, from physician-vetted Care Process Model algorithms to frequently asked questions. Because it's all online, this resource is available any time of day or night.
• Health Care Consulting: Through this program, Mayo Clinic doctors in nearly any specialty or sub-specialty are available to answer questions from YVMC physicians. The phone calls are a quick and easy way to get additional information and insight. Members can also consult with Mayo Clinic experts in human resources, finance and other administrative areas.
The collaboration with the Mayo Clinic Care Network is just another way YVMC is striving to make great healthcare even better, all while keeping it in the Yampa Valley. With the resources of the Mayo Clinic right out their door, residents of Northwest Colorado are reminded again there's no place like home.
Susan Cunningham writes for Yampa Valley Medical Center. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Trending In: Columnists
- Hayden community mourns death of high school wrestling coach Chad Jones
- Community voices concerns about hospital merger at town hall meeting
- Estimated $4K intended for nonprofits stolen at Run Rabbit Run race in Steamboat
- Memorial service planned for Jones; community invited to celebrate life
- Housing Authority awarded $13.5M in tax credits to build next affordable housing project in Steamboat