What is the Northwest Colorado Food Coalition?
Did you know there is a group that meets quarterly to discuss food related issues? You’re welcome to join us. The Northwest Colorado Food Coalition is an open community group that meet quarterly to work on, discuss and share information about food. The group includes local and regional organizations working on food related issues, farmers and ranchers, consumers and general community members who care about food.
The mission of the Food Coalition is to facilitate communication, collaboration and integration of solutions among individuals and organizations to develop and sustain a resilient food system in Northwest Colorado. Our vision is to be recognized as the leader in assuring the Northwest Colorado community has equitable access to a resilient food system.
The group focuses on three core purposes.
- Exhibit leadership through creating a forum to raise awareness of food security issues.
- Build community through networking of individuals, agencies and elected officials to develop and advocate for public policy that supports a resilient food system.
- Promote regional economic vitality through the support of local agriculture producers and distributors.
As different community needs have arisen relating to one of these three areas, smaller working groups have taken on specific topics and issues. Most recently, a group met to address local regulatory issues relating to the butchering and processing of chickens. We are fortunate to have supportive Routt County staff who are always willing to discuss food related issues and work towards solutions.
Some other examples of collaboration and issues being addressed include the following.
- Food waste led by Yampa Valley Sustainability Council.
- Food accessibility for low income residents led by LiftUp of Routt County and Northwest Colorado Community Health Partnership.
- Local food access via the farmers market, caamarket.org, coordinated by Community Agriculture Alliance.
- Education and resources for local food production provided by Colorado State University Routt County Extension.
The 2019 quarterly meeting schedule lists dates set for Feb. 13, May 8, Sept. 11 and Dec. 11. Meetings are 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Trout Creek Room in the Courthouse Annex located at the corner of Sixth and Oak streets in downtown Steamboat Springs. Meetings include a potluck lunch, and anyone is welcome to join and bring their favorite food to share.
For more information, call Northwest Colorado Food Coalition Chair Michele Meyer at Community Agriculture Alliance at 970-879-4370.
Michele Meyer is the executive director of Community Agriculture Alliance.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User