UNDER THE SUN | SteamboatToday.com


Citizens can help protect wildlife resources

Libbie Miller

With the start of archery season this past August 24th, this year’s hunting season is officially under way. In preparation, the roughly 120 Colorado Division of Wildlife field officers throughout the state have readied themselves for the rigorous months of big game hunting pressure that will follow.

Unfortunately, due to the size of the state and the increasing number of people who hunt in Colorado, it is impossible for CDOW officers to contact every hunter. Without the help of sportsmen and other concerned citizens that report suspected violations, many wildlife violations would remain undetected. These citizen reports often lead to subsequent fines and penalties against those individuals that have broken the law.

In recent years, the increased use of cellular phones has significantly increased the number of reports the CDOW receives and our success in locating the violator. Local CDOW officers are requesting your continued assistance to help us protect our states wildlife resources.

Please report any information you have concerning any wildlife violations to your local wildlife officer through the numbers listed at the end of this article. Violations may include waste of game, taking extra animals, spotlighting, hunting without a license, shooting from the road or a vehicle, and trespassing.

In order to help us more efficiently respond to your report the following information is critical.

Reporting wildlife violations

Recommended Stories For You

Call in the suspected violation as soon possible. Cellular phones are great for this. If you don’t have one, ask around – someone else in the area might.

Give an exact location of where the violation occurred. If you have one, GPS units can be useful in providing this information.

Give as exact a time as possible.

If an individual was observed, give as detailed a description of that individual as possible.

If a vehicle was present, give a detailed description of that vehicle. If possible, include the state and a license plate number.

Emergency numbers for wildlife officers:

Moffat County: Colorado State Patrol – (970) 824-6501

Routt County: Routt County Communications – (970) 879-1090

CDOW Operation Game Thief: 1-800-332-4155

Other contact numbers:

Sportsman Information Center: (970) 824-3046

Meeker office of the CDOW (970) 878-4493

Routt County office of the CDOW (970) 870-2197