Thoughtful Parenting: Help prevent child abuse and neglect
Adults in our community share a responsibility to protect against and report child abuse and neglect. While the number of substantiated victims of child abuse and neglect in Routt County dropped from 49 in 2013 to 36 in 2014, we need to work together to continue to decrease this number.
Parents, help protect your children by following these suggestions: Listen to your children and let them know it is safe to talk about anything. Get to know your neighbors, your child’s friends and their families. Teach your children the difference between “good touches” and “bad touches.” Screen babysitters and child care centers and assess their knowledge and training in child health, development, and care. Take a break if you feel overwhelmed. Get help if you have ever been a victim of abuse. Find local resources at //211colorado.communityos.org/cms/node/142.
Recognize the signs of abuse and neglect. Warning signs of physical or sexual abuse include:
• Behavior changes such as fear, anxiety, depression, aggression or withdrawal; not wanting to go home; appearing afraid of certain individuals
• Overly sexualized behavior or use of explicit sexual language inappropriate for the child’s age
Participate in The Longevity Project
The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.
• Changes in sleeping patterns, including frequent nightmares or difficulty falling asleep — which may cause the child to appear tired or fatigued
• Changes in school performance and attendance; frequent absences or being unable to concentrate in class
• Eating habits that lead to extreme weight gain or loss
• Visible, unexplained injuries, such as burns, bruises or broken bones
• Use of drugs or alcohol
• Trouble walking or sitting
Warning signs of neglect include:
• Clothes that are ill-fitting, filthy or inappropriate for the weather
• Consistently poor hygiene (unbathed, matted and unwashed hair, noticeable body odor)
• Untreated illnesses and physical injuries
• Frequently unsupervised, left alone or allowed to play in unsafe situations and environments
• Frequently late or missing from school
Advocate for children. If a child reports he or she has been harmed, keep calm and reassure the child you believe him or her. Support groups help parents at risk of abusing their children. Offer to help new parents. Many new parents do not have the support of extended family.
Children or teens who are being abused: Do not keep it secret. You are not at fault. Please tell a trusted adult immediately.
Speak up quickly if you suspect abuse or neglect — a child’s life may depend on it. Report child abuse and neglect anonymously at 1-844-CO-4-KIDS (1-844-264-5437) which connects callers to Routt County Department of Human Services, or call the Routt County Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 970-367-4056. If a child has been hurt or is in imminent danger, call 911.
Visit rockymountaincasa.org to learn more about Northwest Rocky Mountain CASA and how our volunteers advocate for the best interests of child victims of abuse and neglect.
Sue Fegelein is executive director of Northwest Rocky Mountain CASA and a member of the First Impressions Children’s Health Advocacy Team.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User