Steamboat Springs hockey defeats Summit in final seconds on senior night |

Steamboat Springs hockey defeats Summit in final seconds on senior night

Steamboat Springs junior Griffin Maltby carries the puck down the ice in the game against Summit on Friday, Feb 1 at Howelsen Ice Arena. (Photo by Leah Vann)

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — It came down to a mere 13.5 seconds.

Steamboat Springs (4-10) saw an evenly-matched opponent in the Summit Tigers (4-10-1) on Friday night.

There was no better stage than senior night, the third-to-last home game of the season, honoring 10 seniors on a roster of 22. It’s not the season the Sailors had hoped for. Last year, the Sailors were 14-6-1, making the state quarterfinal after being second in the Pinnacle Conference to Fort Collins, but this year, they’re second to last of the newly-implemented Peak Conference, just above the Tigers.

The Tigers were also already one of the Sailors’ three wins this season, a 5-2 victory from Dec. 11. This time, the Sailors would win a thriller at home within the final 13 seconds, 5-4.

Sailors junior forward Tanner Ripley slipped the puck in a small gap of the goal to give Steamboat Springs the lead in the first period.

But the second period got interesting. Junior Griffin Maltby slammed the top left corner of the net for a 2-0 score, and Summit reciprocated, twice, within the next minute.

Tigers Foster Krueger charged for a straight-shot goal and Zach Carleton tied it up for the Tigers, 2-2.

Following a holding penalty on Matthew Kempers, Sailors sophomore Quinn Dorris broke away down the ice for a wide-open shot to take back the lead on a short-handed goal 3-2.

Summit knocked in a controversial goal to end the period. The puck hit the top of the back post, not signaling a buzzer, bouncing down and out of the goal. The Sailors signaled that it wasn’t a goal, but after a short deliberation, the officials ruled in favor of Tigers’ Dart Barson to make it a 3-3 score going into the final period.

Ripley knocked in the fourth goal for the Sailors to make it 4-3, but Summit once again tied it up 4-4 with 56 seconds left in the game.

The Sailors hung their heads in the final faceoff, but ended up charging into the Tigers’ D-Zone with the puck. Dorris took the final shot with 13.5 seconds left to win the game for the Sailors, 5-4.

To reach Leah Vann, call 970-871-4253, email or follow her on Twitter @LVann_Sports

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User