Steamboat Safeway evacuated because of smoke | SteamboatToday.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Steamboat Safeway evacuated because of smoke

Employees and customers stand outside of Safeway on Tuesday. Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue responded to fire alarms at 11:38 a.m. after a generator began smoking. The building was evacuated.
John F. Russell

— A backup power generator overheated and started smoking at the Safeway in Steamboat Springs late this morning, Steamboat Springs Fire Chief Ron Lindroth said.

The generator had been leaking oil and seized up when it kicked on, he said. Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue responded to a 911 call at about 11:40 a.m. Safeway management already had evacuated the building, Lindroth said. No one was injured, and fire officials estimated the property loss at $500.

According to a news release from Fire Rescue, “The generator was shut down and smoke was removed from the loading area with the use of ventilation fans. Damage was limited to the generator, with no fire damage occurring. No smoke entered the retail space of the store. The Routt County Health Department was notified and responded as a precautionary measure to ensure public health with consumable food items.”



People were allowed to re-enter the building shortly after noon.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News


See more