Steamboat Pilot & Today wins 2015 General Excellence Award at CPA Convention
May 15, 2016
Denver — Steamboat Pilot & Today won the General Excellence Award as the best overall newspaper in its circulation class at the 2015 Colorado Press Association Better Newspaper Awards, which were held Saturday during CPA's annual convention at the Sheraton Denver West Hotel.
The newspaper also took home the Photo and Design Sweepstakes Award and the Advertising Sweepstakes Award, along with 33 individual awards, including 16 first-place honors.
"This year, the awards have even more meaning," CPA CEO Jerry Raehal said. "Our members asked us to make the contest more competitive, eliminating third-place honors, as well as reducing the number of categories. To win an award at the CPA has even greater value, and we’re very proud of all who participated.”
First-place winners were:
• Best sports event story: Joel Reichenberger for "More than a race"
• Best sports photo: Reichenberger for "Crossing the line"
Recommended Stories For You
• Best informational graphic: Vicky Ho for "Running essentials"
• Best photography portfolio: Scott Franz
• Best cover design: Mackenzie Yelvington for "What's in a name?"
• Best use of color in an ad: Karen Gilchrist and Jessica Wagner, Rollingstone Ranch
• Best real estate ad: Lori Griepentrog and Veronika Khanisenka, Steamboat Village Brokers open house
• Best restaurant or dining ad: Deb Proper and Chris McGaw, Brunch on the Mountain
• Best health care ad: Kathy Wichelhaus and Mack Maschmeier, Go with your gut
• Best medium-space ad: Wichelhaus and Maschmeier, Christmas Eve
• Best large-space ad: Wichelhaus and Maschmeier, CMC eclipse watch
• Best advertising campaign: Laura Tamucci and Maschmeier, Never Again — Advocates
• Best newspaper/house ad promotion: Lindsay Porter and Lisa Schlichtman, Step Up and Serve
• Best advertising layout and design: Pilot & Today staff
• Best photo slideshow or gallery: Austin Colbert, Drepung Loseling Monastery mandala celebration
• Best website-daily: Pilot & Today staff.
Second-place winners were:
• Editorial writing: Lisa Schlichtman
• Best health enterprise/health feature: Matt Stensland for "Classic Air"
• Best feature story: Reichenberger for "The day Steamboat shook"
• Best sports story: Reichenberger for "The day Steamboat shook"
• Best editorial special section: Pro Challenge, Pilot & Today staff
• Best feature photograph: John F. Russell for "Dog show"
• Best news page design: Vicky Ho for "Bat House"
• Best photography portfolio: Russell
• Best cover design: Katie Berning for "Octoberwest"
• Best black and white ad: Proper and McGaw, Great rooms start with Moxie
• Best use of color in an ad: Griepentrog and Khanisenka, Yoga, Mountains, Music
• Best real estate ad: Proper and McGaw, Coldwell Banker 1
• Best restaurant or dining ad: Proper and McGaw, Haymaker 2
• Best health care ad: Griepentrog and Khanisenka, McCreight Progressive Dentistry
• Best medium-space ad: Griepentrog and McGaw, Ace-Yeti
• Best newspaper house ad promotion: Porter and Schlichtman, Election Forum
• Best use of multimedia advertising: Greg Johnson, Bike Town USA
Pilot & Today was also honored with 15 awards, including the Online General Excellence award, in the Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters annual awards contest.
CAPER awards were presented during a special reception Friday night.
Pilot & Today won its awards competing in the circulation class of 15,000 and fewer.
In all, Pilot & Today won five first-place, three second-place and seven honorable mention awards in the contest.
Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters is composed of Associated Press member newspapers in Colorado.
First-place awards for Steamboat Pilot & Today:
• On-line general excellence: Pilot & Today staff
• Environmental story: Tom Ross for "The Water Buffalo in the Room"
• Feature story: Joel Reichenberger for "The Day Steamboat Shook"
• Sports column: Reichenberger
• News column: Tom Ross
• Business story: Teresa Ristow for "The rental squeeze"
• Online Breaking News: Pilot & Today staff
• Sports Story: Reichenberger for "The Day Steamboat Shook"
• Environmental story: Scott Franz for "Bats"
• General excellence: Pilot & Today staff
• Investigative reporting: Matt Stensland for "Excessive Force"
• Picture story/photo essay: Stensland for "Search and Rescue"
• Portfolio: Reichenberger
- Sports column: John F. Russell
• Sports story: Reichenberger for "Lost ski areas of Routt County"