Steamboat firefighters extinguish chimney fire |

Steamboat firefighters extinguish chimney fire

— A Steamboat Springs home was not damaged when a chimney caught fire Thursday morning.

At 7:55 a.m., Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to 747 Anglers Pond. Firefighters were changing shifts, so 13 firefighters were able to respond, according to a news release.

After determining the home was evacuated, firefighters learned the fire was contained to the chimney. A crew went on the roof and took apart the chimney to access the chimney pipe.

They found half the pipe was filled in with ash and creosote. The material was knocked off the pipe, and the fire was extinguished.

According to the fire department, the fire was caused by a dirty chimney pipe.

Recommended Stories For You

“Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue would like to remind people that chimneys need periodic cleaning, even as we near the end of the winter season,” the news release said.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247, email or follow him on Twitter @SBTStensland