Steamboat city manager in critical condition at Denver hospital |

Steamboat city manager in critical condition at Denver hospital

Jon Roberts found injured at Steamboat Ski Area

Jon Roberts
John F. Russell

— Steamboat Springs City Manager Jon Roberts was flown to Denver Health medical center after suffering an unknown injury Sunday afternoon at Steamboat Ski Area.

He remained in critical condition at about 3 p.m. today, according to a Denver Health spokeswoman.

Deputy City Manager Wendy DuBord said Rob­erts was found unconscious at the ski area Sunday afternoon and was taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center. She said he remained unconscious at the Steamboat hospital and was flown to Denver Health shortly after 3:30 p.m. Sunday.

Ski area spokesman Mike Lane said Roberts was found on the Sitz ski trail just above See Me, near the base of the mountain. Lane said Ski Patrol was on scene at about 2:18 p.m. Roberts was taken from the ski mountain to an ambulance and then transported to YVMC, Lane said.

Roberts was wearing a helmet, Lane said, and he was not near any trees. He wasn’t sure Sunday night whether Ski Patrol was the first to come upon Roberts, or whether other skiers and riders alerted patrollers.

Neither Lane nor Dubord had any additional information about the nature of Roberts’ injury, including whether it was related to skiing.

“We’re all just praying and hoping that it works out and that he has a quick recovery,” DuBord said.

A Denver Health spokeswoman said Roberts was in critical condition in the hospital’s emergency department. DuBord said Roberts’ wife, LeAnn, is at the hospital with him.

“Respecting the family’s privacy, we’re not going to put out any more information until they’re OK with the information going out,” DuBord said.

Previously, Roberts was ser­iously injured in a skydiving accident in California during Memorial Day weekend in 2009 when he could not find the rip cord for his main and reserve parachutes. The reserve parachute eventually deployed high enough for Roberts to land safely, but he nearly hit a building and became tangled in TV antennae above it. His parachute collapsed, and he fell about 30 feet to the ground and tore an artery in his chest.

He spent a week in a California hospital recovering from the accident. He returned to his city manager duties about three weeks after the accident.

DuBord said she has assumed the role of acting city manager.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User