Steamboat briefs: Proposals for median maintenance due Tuesday |

Steamboat briefs: Proposals for median maintenance due Tuesday

The city of Steamboat Springs is soliciting proposals from qualified contractors to provide landscape maintenance and horticulture services in 18 medians and streetscapes and two traffic roundabouts throughout Steamboat Springs.

A mandatory pre-proposal conference will be held at 1 p.m. today at the Parks and Recreation Building, 245 Howelsen Parkway. All contractors planning to submit a proposal must be represented at the meeting. Proposals must be submitted to city offices, 137 10th Street, P.O. Box 775088, Steamboat Springs, CO 80477, Attn: Shelly St. Pierre no later than 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 5. The city reserves the right to reject any and all bids and proposals and enter into a contract or issue a purchase order which, in its opinion, best serves the needs of the Steamboat and its residents.

Hunting brochures, license applications available online

Colorado Parks and Wildlife's 2016 hunting brochures for big game, sheep and goats, as well as applications for licenses, are now available online at, according to a news release from CPW.

CPW's online application period and secure license application portal will remain open through Tuesday, April 5.

"Sports men and women are encouraged to review CPW's brochure and regulations before application," said Matt Robbins, CPW spokesman, in the release. "CPW's license refund policy has changed, and applicants should be aware of new requirements and fees."

Recommended Stories For You

The big game brochure includes regulations for deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, bear, sheep and mountain goat.

Print versions of the brochure are also available at CPW offices or any of the 750 license vendors throughout the state.

For those born on or after Jan. 1, 1949, an approved hunter education card or certificate is required before applying or purchasing a Colorado hunting license. Colorado honors hunter education certifications from other states, countries and Canadian provinces.

To complete an online application, applicants should have the following information at hand.

■ Current, valid photo identification and/or customer identification number.

■ Proof of hunter education.

■ Proof of Colorado residency (if applicable).

■ A 2016 habitat stamp, which will automatically be added to online applications, if required. The $10 habitat stamp is required for license buyers between the ages of 18 and 64 and can be purchased separately.

■ A Social Security number for applicants 12 and younger, unless the number is already on file.

■ Hunt codes (as many as four per species).

■ Credit card (Mastercard, Visa or Discover).

Customer service representative are available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at 303-297-1192, and trained hunter planners are available to assist hunters by phone at 303-291-7526.

Hunters can also access personal assistance at one of CPW's regional service centers in Denver, Grand Junction, Colorado Springs or Durango or at any CPW office or state park.

Library needs local history buffs for digitizing project

Those who know the difference between the Bear and Yampa rivers are needed by Bud Werner Memorial Library and Tread of Pioneers Museum. The library and museum are partnering on a project to digitize and make available on the web Three Wire Winter magazine and the magazine's supporting materials including oral interviews, transcripts and photos. They need history-loving locals who have the time to listen to the interviews while reading professional transcripts of the interviews for errors. Anyone who is interested should contact Alysa Selby at 970-367-4929 or

Hayden food bank provides food for those in need

The Hayden Congregational Church Food Bank, 202 E. Jefferson, distributes free food and personal items to those in need. For more information, contact the church at 970-276-3510 or Pastor Jane at 970-757-0000 or

Girl Scouts in Steamboat in need of volunteers

The Steamboat Springs Girl Scouts are looking for volunteers. For more information, contact Nancy Mucklow at 970-846-2630 or

Life-change events qualify readers for insurance

Those who had any of the following life-change events in the past month may qualify for health insurance coverage through Connect for Health Colorado outside of the open enrollment period.

■ Marriage, birth, adoption and placement for foster care.

■ Insurance plan or Medicaid coverage was canceled or ended.

■ Job change and loss of employer-sponsored insurance.

■ Change in citizenship or immigration status.

■ Change in incarceration status.

■ Relocation to Colorado.

For more information or to meet with a health coverage guide, call 970-871-7664 in Moffat County or 970-871-7638 in Routt County.