Steamboat briefs: Pilot & Today requests story retraction, paper removal
Steamboat Springs — The Denver litigation firm of Reilly Pozner LLP, acting on behalf of the Steamboat Pilot & Today, sent a letter Thursday asking The Steamboat Local to remove all copies of its most recent edition from area racks and to retract a story about the Pilot & Today.
In its edition released Thursday, The Local published a story alleging criminal wrongdoing by the newspaper in the handling of chemicals used in the printing process. Scott Stanford, general manager of the Pilot & Today, said the article contained numerous factual errors and that the premise of the story and the allegations contained in it are completely and wholly untrue. Foremost among the allegations is that the Environmental Protection Agency has “an ongoing criminal investigation into the Pilot’s chemical disposal activities.” The Pilot & Today has never been contacted by the EPA about its disposal practices and Richard Mylott, a public affairs specialist with the EPA, confirmed Thursday that the Pilot & Today is not “the subject of any investigation by EPA’s Criminal Investigation Division.”
The Pilot & Today is in consultation with its attorneys about legal recourse should The Local refuse to comply with its request.
Hayden elementary Winter Gift Festival is this morning
Hayden Valley Elementary School is hosting its annual holiday-themed event today.
Parents are invited to the school from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. for the Winter Gift Festival. Students will give their parents handmade gifts.
Salvation Army seeks bell ringers for 1-hour shifts
The local Salvation Army Extension Committee is looking for volunteer bell ringers for one-hour shifts through Christmas Eve.
Of the money collected, 90 percent goes to Routt County residents in need, and the other 10 percent is distributed statewide.
To volunteer, call Judi Williams at 970-871-1515. For more information, call 970-870-0727.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Some residents at Sleepy Bear Mobile Home Park will likely be without power and water for at least several weeks after two fires broke out at the park Wednesday afternoon.