Steamboat briefs for Feb. 12 |

Steamboat briefs for Feb. 12

LEAP energy assistance available through April 30

The Routt County Department of Human Services is accepting applications for its Low Income Energy Assistance Program, or LEAP, through April 30, 2008. LEAP is a federally funded program designed to help low-income households meet their winter home heating costs; it does not pay the entire cost of home heating.

Household income may not exceed 185 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. The maximum monthly income for a one-person household is $1,574. Applications can be picked up at the Human Services office, 135 Sixth Street in downtown Steamboat Springs. For information, call Ruth Ann at 879-1540, or 1-866-432-8435.

VNA, Hospice raising funds to buy Selbe House

The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association and Hospice of Northwest Colorado have announced a campaign to raise $2.5 million to acquire and remodel the Selbe House at 1500 Pine Grove Road. The house will become the Rollingstone Respite House.

The remodeled house will accommodate as many as five respite and hospice clients in addition to 10 adult day-service clients. It also will accommodate “Poogie’s Place,” the community’s youth bereavement and art therapy program.

The Selbe family is donating a partial gift of the residence, and fundraising efforts already have raised more than $1 million. Donors can contribute through the Yampa Valley Community Foundation, P.O. Box 881869, Steamboat Springs, CO 80448, or on the Web at For more information, call Sue Birch at 871-7624.

CMC offers free English as a Second Language classes

Free English as a Second Language, or Ingles como Segundo Idioma, have begun at Colorado Mountain College in Steamboat Springs. Classes for beginners, intermediate and advanced students are at 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Advanced students also can attend a 9:30 a.m. class Wednesdays.

Meet in Willett Hall, Room 303. Call 870-4428 for more information. Preguntas, 879-9668.

Medical transportation available for veterans

Transportation to the Grand Junction and Denver VA medical centers is available for veterans who are unable to drive and who have an appointment Monday through Friday at either hospital. This service is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Call the Veterans Affairs Officer of Routt County at 879-5489 or e-mail to arrange transportation.

Veterans are encouraged to take advantage of the medical services available to them through the VA. Entering the VA medical system requires a copy of your DD 214 and about 20 minutes to fill out a form with the VA officer. The Routt County office is in the Workforce Center in the Sundance at Fish Creek shopping center. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Wednesday.

Tobacco quit kits

available at VNA offices

The Northwest Colorado VNA is offering help to smokers attempting to quit the habit for the new year. Tobacco-free quit kits for smokers and chewers are available at the VNA offices in Steamboat Springs, at 940 Central Park Drive, Suite 101, and in Craig at 745 Russell St. The kits promote the Colorado QuitLine and offer free support from a trained coach who guides individuals through the quitting process. Four weeks of free nicotine patches are available, as is nicotine gum.

Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669), or call the VNA at 871-7664.

Foreign investors must report U.S. land holdings

Foreign investors with an interest in agricultural lands in the U.S. are required to report their holdings and any transactions – within 90 days – to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, said Leon A. Padia, executive director of the Routt, Jackson, Grand and Summit County Farm Service Agency.

Foreign investors in local properties must file Agricultural Foreign Investment Disclosure Act reports with Padia’s office or risk a penalty, including fines of up to 25 percent of the fair market value of the agricultural land.

The disclosure act defines agricultural land as any land used for farming, ranching or timber production, if the tracts total 10 acres or more. Disclosure reports also are required when there are changes in land use.

Contact the local farm service agency office, 1475 Pine Grove Road, at 879-3225, or visit

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User