Stabbing case continued to April 28 |

Stabbing case continued to April 28

Christine Metz

A 21-year-old man charged with stabbing another man during a fight appeared in court Wednesday.

The case against Damien Poot-May was continued until April 28 after he waived his right to have a preliminary hearing in 30 days or less. Poot-May was arrested March 29 on charges of stabbing Normando Munoz-Nunnez, 34, during a fight near Riverside Drive.

Poot-May appeared in Routt County Court, where public defender Gail Morrison asked that the case be continued. She said she needed additional time and a Spanish-speaking interpreter to talk to Poot-May.

Poot-May is charged with first-degree assault with intent to cause serious bodily injury with a deadly weapon. He allegedly stabbed Munoz-Nunnez once in the stomach and once in the shoulder during a March 28 fight in a parking area on Riverside Drive.

Police said the two men had been arguing earlier at a restaurant and then again on a Steamboat Springs Transit bus to Riverside Drive.

Poot-May admitted to fighting with Munoz-Nunnez and owning the knife, according to the police report. Through a Spanish translator, Poot-May told police the knife fell out of his pocket during the fight.

Recommended Stories For You

Police found blood on Poot-May’s pant legs and shirt, a cut on his left middle finger and a bandage on his left arm.

The police officers who arrived to Riverside Drive found Munoz-Nunnez bleeding heavily from his stomach. He pointed to his stomach before losing consciousness and being transported to the hospital, according to a police report.

The Routt County Jail is holding Poot-May as an illegal immigrant.

Federal immigration policy requires illegal immigrants accused of crimes to stay in jail until tried and, if convicted, to serve their sentence before being deported to their country.

Paul Hanzelka, a 36-year-old Steamboat Springs man, also appeared in court Wednesday. Hanzelka was arrested on suspicion of second-degree burglary, felony menacing, criminal mischief and harassment.

Morrison also requested that Hanzelka’s case be continued so they could negotiate an offer with the District Attorney’s Office and talk to the alleged victim. Hanzelka waived his right for a preliminary hearing within 30 days.

Hanzelka was arrested early on the morning of March 30 after he allegedly barged into a residence on Weiss Drive and threatened two occupants with a boat oar.

— To reach Christine Metz call 871-4229

or e-mail