Soroco volleyball wins over Paonia for first time since 2011
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Wrapping up homecoming week at Soroco High School, the Rams volleyball team defeated both conference opponents that came to town.
On Friday, Oct. 11, Soroco defeated Hotchkiss 3-0. The Rams emerged victorious 25-21 in set one, before taking set two in a more dominant fashion, 25-15. Set three went to the Rams as well, 25-18.
On Saturday, Oct. 12, Paonia won one set. Soroco opened the match with a 25-23 win, and the Eagles countered with a win by the same score in set two.
Set three was all Soroco, which won 25-13. The final frame was slightly closer, but the girls in maroon prevailed, taking it 25-18 to top the Eagles for the first time in eight years.
Support Local Journalism
In 2018, Paonia defeated Soroco 3-2, and the previous year saw the Eagles sweep the Rams 3-0.
“(I’m) super proud of the way the girls played and their mental change,” Soroco head coach Jeannie Jo Logan said. “Their play is more consistent, and their confidence in themselves and teammates has gone up tremendously!”
The Rams are now 10-6 overall and 6-3 against 2A Western Slope opponents. Additionally, Soroco sits at 29th in the RPI standings.
Soroco has four games remaining in the regular season, including three homes games on Oct. 21, 25 and 26.
Friday, Oct. 11
Soroco 3, Hotchkiss 0
H 21 15 18 — 0
SO 25 25 25 — 3
Saturday, Oct. 12
Soroco 3, Paonia 1
P 23 25 13 18 — 1
SO 25 23 25 25 — 3
- Aug. 31: 1st at home tournament: W vs. Ridgway 3-1, W vs. Nucla 3-0, W vs. Little Snake River (Wyo.) 3-1
- Sept. 5: at Lake County, W 3-0
- Sept. 10: at Vail Mountain, L 3-0
- Sept. 13: vs. DeBeque, W 3-0
- Sept. 14: at Vail Christian, L 3-2
- Sept. 17: vs. North Park, 3-1
- Sept. 20: vs. Caprock, 3-0
- Sept. 28: Simla Tournament: L vs. Ignacio 3-1, L vs. Simla 3-1, L vs. Dayspring Christian Academy 3-0
- Oct. 3: at Hayden, L 3-2
- Oct. 4: at Plateau Valley, W 3-0
- Oct. 11: vs. Hotchkiss, W 3-0
- Oct. 12: vs. Paonia, W 3-1
- Oct. 18: at Rangely, W 3-0
- Oct. 21: vs. Moffat County, W 3-2
- Oct. 25: vs. West Grand, L 3-2
- Oct. 26: vs. Meeker, L 3-1
- Nov. 9: 2A Region 10 vs. Dolores L 3-1, Clear Creek L 3-1
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
Commissioners seek stronger measures to further limit spread, eyeing out-of-county travelers and construction