Ski History Week: Sending in the ground troops
Steamboat Springs — When my friends ask me what I do for work, I say I am a destination wedding planner. That is the best analogy I can think of to give them a mental snapshot of what this event, Skiing History Week, boils down to. This is the picture I am painting…
- Pick a cool destination that people will want to travel to that is a beautiful place to stay, explore, party, celebrate and have a good time. We picked Steamboat Springs. Check.
- Send out save the dates and enticing invitations months before the event. Check.
- Have a welcome party that is like a mini reunion, welcoming your family to town and serving food and bubbly to kick off the week. We have the Howelsen Hill Welcome Reception in Olympian Hall on April 8. Check.
- Provide some entertainment options for people if they have some time to explore the town on their own… We have the “Snow-100“ Film Festival April 8, plus two Legacy Lectures April 9. Check.
- Plan a memorable bachelor party. We have the Brew Fest at Butcherknife Brewing Company on April 10. Check.
- Book a rehearsal dinner where people have an opportunity to practice speeches for the big event — Skiing History Awards Dinner on April 10. Check.
- Have the “Big Event” at a fabulous venue. The Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is at The Steamboat Grand on April 11. Check.
- Have a great reception to follow. We will have the Induction Afterburner Party at The Bear River Bar and Grill on April 11. Check.
- Have a day-after breakfast send off, so people can roll out of bed after the big night and say proper goodbyes, put some food in their bellies and head home on April 12. Check.
One thing you learn with age, and sometimes failure, is that in order to pull off a gig of this grandeur, you must have dependable people to help you. Even more importantly, you must ask for help in the location where you plan to roll out this gala-palooza.
Enter the Steamboat ground troops!
My goal from the get-go was to engage and delight the people who will participate in one or all of these gatherings. Doesn’t hurt that bringing this week-long extravaganza to Steamboat allowed me to introduce some people to Ski Town USA and pump some revenue into the local economy.
That being said, I can now get to the “braggy,” feel good, warm and fuzzy part of this story. The venue coordinators, local business owners, caterers, event sponsors, logistic gurus, volunteers, idea makers, creative designers, invitation printers, etc., made my life as a destination wedding planner much easier.
We had a great deal of help from planning pioneers, able allies, financial supporters, enthusiastic partners that will make our week in Steamboat a once-in-a-lifetime experience. They included: Bear River Bar and Grill, Big Agnes, Buddy Werner Memorial Library, Butcherknife Brewing Co., Central Park Liquor, Chief Theater, Colorado Event Rentals, city of Steamboat Springs, ESPN Sports Radio, Honey Stinger, Howelsen Hill, J&S Audio Visual, Korbel, Marno’s Catering, Northland Ski Company, Point6, Ski Town Media Inc., Steamboat Grand, Steamboat Magazine, Steamboat Pilot & Today, Steamboat Ski and Resort Corp., Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club, Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association, Strategic Design and Advertising, Tread of Pioneers Museum and TV6.
Stacey Wooley works with event marketing and sponsorships for the United States Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame and Museum. She is writing a series of columns leading up to Skiing History Week and the Hall of Fame’s induction ceremony in Steamboat Springs April 6 to 12. She can be reached at Stacey@SkiHall.com
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User