Sailors surrender early lead at Summit
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Steamboat Springs High School junior hockey player Aiden Story got his team on the board with his first varsity goal five minutes into the first period against Summit.
Junior Quinn Dorris added another Sailors (1-2) goal a minute later to give Steamboat an early 2-0 lead.
However, the Tigers scored four goals in the third period to win 6-3 on Wednesday, Dec. 11.
Summit (1-0) tied the game in the second, as Max Bonenberger and Hank Kasch put pucks past Steamboat goaltender Indiana Kretzchmar. Steamboat senior David Thiel scored his fourth goal of the year to give the Sailors a 3-2 lead at the second break.
The Tigers came out and peppered Kretzchmar in the third, scoring on four of the 18 shots on goal to earn the win.
Wednesday, Dec. 11
Summit 6, Steamboat Springs 3
SS 2 1 0 — 3
S 0 2 4 — 6
SS — Aiden Story, PP, 4:58
SS — Quinn Dorris (Walker Ripley), 6:07
S — Max Bonenberger (Finn Theriault), 4:59
S — Hank Kasch (Rudy Burki), 14:26
SS — David Thiel (Griffin Maltby, Max Kenney), 16:11
S — Bonenberger (Ryley Cibula, Blaze Ebbinghaus), PP, 7:45
S — Nick Davis (Bonenberger, Kasch), 11:54
S — Tyler Wilson (Caleb Mallory), 12:14
S — Kasch (Bonenberger, Theriault), 16:26
- Dec. 6-7: Steamboat Springs at Crested Butte, W 4-3, L 7-2
- Dec. 11: Steamboat Springs at Summit, L 6-3
- Dec. 20: Steamboat Springs at Aspen, L 4-2
- Jan. 10: Denver East at Steamboat Springs, 7:30 p.m., L 8-2
- Jan. 17: Aspen at Steamboat Springs, T 2-2
- Jan. 18: Glenwood Springs at Steamboat Springs, L 8-5
- Jan. 20: Steamboat Springs at Chaparral, L 7-0
- Jan. 25: Steamboat Springs at Mountain Vista, L 1-2
- Jan. 29: Fort Collins at Steamboat Springs, L 8-1
- Jan. 31: Summit at Steamboat Springs, L 10-1
- Feb. 1: Palmer at Steamboat Springs, W 5-2
- Feb. 4: Steamboat Springs at Battle Mountain, L 7-2
- Feb. 12: Steamboat Springs at Glenwood Springs, L 6-2
- Feb. 14: Dakota Ridge at Steamboat Springs, L 7-5
- Feb. 15: Cherry Creek at Steamboat Springs, L 9-2
- Feb. 17: Battle Mountain at Steamboat Springs, L 4-0
- Feb. 22: Steamboat Springs at Mullen, 8:30 p.m.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User