Sailor boys eke out win over Eagle Valley
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Led by a 20-point effort by senior Dawson Lindquist, the Steamboat Springs High School boys basketball team defeated Eagle Valley 61-59 on the road Tuesday, Jan. 28.
The Sailors trailed 30-29 at the half but outscored the Devils 14-11 in the third to earn the win.
Junior Jackson Metzler scored 14 points, helped by a pair of 3-pointers, while freshman Cade Gedeon and junior Eric Pollert added 9 points each.
Gedeon also picked up nine rebounds, five of which came on the defensive board. He also had a team-high two steals and contributed two assists. Sophomore Kellen Adams paced the team with three helpers.
With a 5-1 record against Western Slope teams, the Sailors are second in the league behind 4-0 Glenwood Springs. Steamboat ranks No. 26 in the 4A RPI standings.
Steamboat hosts Summit on Friday, Jan. 31. Summit is 4-1 in league play and ranked No. 24.
Sophomore Samantha Campbell scored 15 posts for the Sailor girls, helping them to a 50-41 win over the Devils.
Tuesday, Jan. 28
Steamboat Springs 61, Eagle Valley 59
Scoring: SS, Dawson Lindquist 20, Jackson Metzler 14, Cade Gedeon 9, Eric Pollert 9, Parker Lindquist 5, Kellen Adams 2, Devon Crawford 2. Fouls: SS, 11. FTs: SS, 18-24. 3-pointers: SS, 5 (Metzler 2). Rebounds: SS, 25 (Gedeon 9). Assists: SS, 11 (Adams 3). Steals: SS, 5 (Gedeon 2).
Steamboat Springs boys basketball schedule
- Dec. 5-7: Steamboat Springs at Preview Classic: L vs. Golden 82-59, L vs. Centaurus 63-45, L vs. Holy Family 52-45
- Dec. 12-14: Steamboat Springs shootout, W vs. Woodland Park 49-46, L vs. Conifer 51-44, L vs. Colorado Academy 73-61
- Dec. 17: Moffat County at Steamboat Springs, W 58-55
- Dec. 21: Steamboat Springs at Mead, L 74-47
- Jan. 2-4: Steamboat Springs at Roosevelt, 2-1
- Jan. 11: Eagle Valley at Steamboat Springs, W 53-41
- Jan. 17: Palisade at Steamboat Springs, W 44-41
- Jan. 18: Rifle at Steamboat Springs, W 59-42
- Jan. 21: Steamboat Springs at Battle Mountain, W 54-42
- Jan. 25: Steamboat Springs at Glenwood Springs, L 58-44
- Jan. 28: Steamboat Springs at Eagle Valley, W 61-59
- Jan. 31: Summit at Steamboat Springs, W 48-33
- Feb. 8: Steamboat Springs at Palisade, L 51-43
- Feb. 13: Battle Mountain at Steamboat Springs, W 55-40
- Feb. 15: Glenwood Springs at Steamboat Springs, 3:30 p.m.
- Feb. 20: Steamboat Springs at Rifle, W 68-25
- Feb. 22: Steamboat Springs at Summit, W 45-39
- Feb. 26: No. 43 Mitchell at Steamboat Springs, L 47-44
To reach Shelby Reardon, call 970-871-4253, email sreardon@SteamboatPilot.com or follow her on Twitter @ByShelbyReardon.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
When you’re young, and even when you’re older, conversations about sexual health can be difficult. But for adolescents and teens, especially, there is a lot at stake. The repercussions of unplanned pregnancy, a sexually transmitted…