Proof of pet rabies vaccination required by city of Steamboat Springs
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — When reclaiming lost or found pets from the animal shelter, a proof of rabies vaccination is required by the city of Steamboat Springs for public safety.
If owners are unable to provide proof of vaccination, animals must be held at the shelter until one of the following conditions are met:
- A rabies certificate is located, providing proof that the rabies vaccine is current.
- A veterinarian can verify the date the rabies vaccine was given and that it is current.
- The animal is scheduled for immediate vaccination and receives a rabies vaccine by a local veterinarian.
Following is a list of tips to make sure reclaiming your pet is a quick process:
- Be sure to check with your vet on your pet’s vaccination status, and keep animals up-to-date on their vaccines.
- Keep pet rabies certificates in an easy-to-find location.
- License your pet with the Routt County Humane Society or at your local Steamboat Springs veterinary clinic.
- Microchip your pet, and keep tags on them with current contact information.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.