Prep Sports Preview: Routt County teams take on preseason tournaments
November 28, 2018
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Routt County teams are looking to see how they match up, piling on the competition with tournaments all over the state.
Some have hopes of starting where they left off, while others are looking to turn around their programs with hopes of a winning season. The only team that will be on display at home is the Steamboat Springs wrestling team.
• Soroco girls basketball at Meeker Shootout, 3 p.m. Thursday Nov. 29
The Rams will begin the first of two weeks of tournament competition at the Meeker Shootout. They take on Aspen on Thursday, then Meeker at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Meeker is expected to be the Rams’ toughest competitor for the league title this year. Soroco has hopes of both hosting the regional tournament and advancing to state this year.
• Steamboat Springs boys basketball at D’Evelyn/Golden Preview Classic, 5:30 p.m. Thursday Nov. 29
The Sailors travel to Golden for a prestigious basketball tournament featuring the state’s top teams. Steamboat kicks off with a game against Centaurus on Thursday. The Sailors return seven seniors, including senior Mac Riniker, who recently signed his letter of intent to play at Colorado Mesa University. The Sailors are hoping to make it past the second round of playoffs this year.
• Steamboat Springs wrestling vs. Battle Mountain, Summit, 6 p.m. Friday Nov. 30
The Sailors host a home triangular against Battle Mountain and Summit and are hoping to attract a home crowd to kick off a strong season. Returning state contenders, juniors Tucker Havel and John Slowey, will take the mat as two of Steamboat’s top wrestlers. It will also be head coach Jordan Bonifas’ debut match.
• Steamboat Springs girls basketball at Brenda Patch Tournament, 6 p.m. Friday Nov. 30
The Sailors travel to Carbondale for their first tournament of the season. They’re slated to take on Roaring Fork on Friday, then Coal Ridge at noon Saturday. Steamboat is looking to grab its first win in two years.
Recommended Stories For You
• Steamboat Springs hockey at Dakota Ridge, 8:30 p.m. Friday Nov. 30
The Sailors will be in Littleton for a late-night game against Dakota Ridge. They’ll travel to Greenwood Village on Saturday to take on Cherry Creek at 3:10 p.m.
• Hayden girls basketball at Kiowa Tournament, 4 p.m. Friday Nov. 30
The Tigers begin tournament competition against Peyton. The girls come into the season under new head coach Lori Raper after going 6-15 last year.
• Hayden boys basketball at Kiowa Tournament, 5:30 p.m. Friday Nov. 30
The Tigers also kick off tournament competition against Peyton. The boys team is hoping for a better season after going 2-17 last year.
• Soroco wrestling at Middle Park Panther Invite, 9 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 1
• Hayden wrestling at Middle Park Panther Invite, 9 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 1