News in brief for Oct. 12
October 11, 2005
Fire destroys barn Saturday night
A fire destroyed a barn containing hay and chickens on Routt County Road 76 on Saturday night.
The West Routt Fire District received a report of a fire at a residence in the 44000 block of C.R. 76 at about 8:30 p.m. By the time firefighters arrived, the barn was “pretty much gone,” Fire Chief Bryan Rickman said.
The owners were home at the time of the fire. No one was injured.
The barn housed chickens and about 2 tons of hay. Firefighters think a heat lamp near the chickens fell and started the fire, Rickman said.
Firefighters extinguished the structure fire in about 20 minutes, though bales of hay continued to burn. Nearby structures were not damaged.
Recommended Stories For You
High school adopts new event attendance policy
Steamboat Springs High School has adopted a new event attendance policy. Anyone entering a school activity will need to remain at the event until the activity is over. If a person leaves before its conclusion, he or she will not be allowed back in without buying a second ticket. Activities passes (student or spectator) are good for one entry only into each event. No open containers or food will be allowed into any school-sponsored events. Bottled water may be brought into an event if the seal is not broken.
High school selling advance game tickets
Steamboat Springs High School is pre-selling tickets for Friday’s homecoming game against Eagle Valley. Tickets are on sale at the Steamboat Springs High School office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. today through Friday.