Man severely burned after fireworks explosion in North Routt
A man was severely burned Sunday evening in North Routt County after an explosion involving fireworks.
North Routt Fire Protection District firefighters and Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to Routt County Road 52E, just west of Routt County Road 129, shortly before 6 p.m.
When they arrived, an enclosed trailer was on fire with several cases of fireworks detonating, according to a Sheriff’s Office news release.
Firefighters extinguished the fire.
A man was severely burned and taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center.
According to the Sheriff’s Office, the man had lit a smoke device to get rid of mosquitos in the camping area.
The man was burned by the device and threw it.
It landed in the trailer, and the fireworks started going off.
The Sheriff’s Office reminds residents and visitors that fireworks that leave the ground are illegal in Colorado.
Fireworks of any kind are also illegal on U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.