Letters to the editor
Your vote counts
The registration deadline for the Nov. 4 City Council election is Monday. All eligible people older than 18 years of age have a personal obligation as citizens to vote. If not, you cannot complain later about the result.
One of the concerns about our city government is its continued domination by the business community. Of the seven current council members, five will be in place for the next two years, because two are unopposed in the upcoming election. Four of these five make up a lock-step majority that is in a self-proclaimed partnership with business. The best the voters can hope for this election is to seat two candidates who might be more in tune with the interests of the whole community.
These interests include — capping/controlling/managing the rampant growth rate; checking the summer carnival atmosphere caused by an overload of events; stopping the use of our tax money to subsidize tourism marketing; giving the people the chance to vote on important issues such as Triple Crown without having to resort to the initiative process; addressing the need for a coordinated city property tax base offset by a reduction in the very high sales tax; and more.
At candidate forums, ask some hard and direct questions on the above and other issues. Don’t be satisfied with the meaningless platitudes that appear in campaign ads, such as, “I have a vision for Steamboat Springs.” Ask if the candidates will support the people’s wish for growth control.
The community can only adjust the imbalance on the council by turning out to vote in large numbers in the next two elections (2003 and 2005). This one could be a start.
Don’t underestimate the ability of the business sector to swing the balance at the polls, though that segment might make up only 20 percent to 25 percent of voters A healthy turnout of the other 75 percent to 80 percent of us is essential to turn the tide.
Omar M. Campbell
Part of real world
In a recent Teen Style section, there was a question asked of some high school students. “Do you agree with the Hayden Board of Education’s decision to require random drug testing for students who leave campus for lunch?”
One young lady responded, “No, because it’s not right because if they drank a few weeks before, it would still show up on the test and people don’t do random drug testing on adults.”
First, it needs to be pointed out that drinking by a high school age person (if under the age of 21) is as illegal as using drugs. So that is not particularly a reason not to do testing.
Secondly, as one of many airline pilots who is fortunate to make my home in Steamboat, I am subject to random drug and alcohol testing on a regular basis. I also know that the teachers who drive buses for the school district get tested. This testing has been declared not to be in violation of our constitutional rights by the Supreme Court of the United States.
I feel compelled to point out to all high school students that you are not being singled out or picked on because you are young or a student. Once you are out of high school you become part of the proverbial “real world” and random drug testing of adults is part of it for many of us.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Jay Hirschfeld and his business partner chef Jessi Watson are hoping the Yampa Valley Ice Cream Co. can add some new flavor to downtown Steamboat Springs with a new craft ice cream retail location.