Letter: Thank you for standing for our land
We would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank the individuals and organizations who helped make the Stand For Our Land rally on Aug. 10 a remarkable success.
It was an inspiring event with a diverse lineup of local folks who spoke passionately about the importance of public lands to our livelihoods, local economy, sense of community, families and happiness — and our imperative to protect them.
Heartfelt thanks go out to all of the following:
• Our amazing lineup of local speakers: Deb Armstrong, Molly Cuffe, Routt County Commissioner Tim Corrigan, Peter Hall, Jonah Lotz, Isaac Madson, Enrique Maestas and Colorado State Rep. Dylan Roberts, all of whom gave voice to the dedication and passion our community has for public lands;
• Lyla June Johnston who shared her spoken word and musical talent to bring us the perspective of indigenous peoples and reminded us that, “Mother Earth doesn’t belong to us; we belong to her;”
• Trapper’s Lake Group of the Sierra Club for helping us bring Lyla June to Steamboat Springs;
• City of Steamboat Springs Police Department for working closely with us to ensure that traffic kept moving, people stayed safe and all voices were respected;
• Rig to Flip and Cody Perry for providing the resources and leadership that made the event happen;
• Eco-Flight for giving our local leaders a bird’s eye view of our public lands;
• Justin Hirsch for beautiful artwork and thoughtful design of T-shirts, posters, banners and social media ads;
• Ohana for screening more than 200 quality T-shirts for rally goers;
• Element Print and Design for printing posters and banners;
• Colorado Democratic Party for providing event insurance;
• Forty-five local businesses and organizations who signed on in support of public lands and the rally; and
• Routt County Democrats, Friends of the Yampa and Yampa Valley Sustainability Council for providing local volunteers, leadership and resources.
Most importantly, we’d like to thank the 1,400 friends, neighbors and visitors who enthusiastically showed up with signs, placards and the collective energy needed to make our voices heard. If you were with us at the rally or there in spirit, please keep up the momentum. Stay informed, volunteer, write letters to the editor, call your elected officials and, most importantly, vote. Stand For Our Land.
Stand For Our Land Rally organizing committee
Anne Barounos, Catherine Carson, Justin Hirsch, Sarah Jones, Diane R Miller, Anne Mudgett, Emily Osterman and Cody Perry
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.