Ken Collins: Displaying Old Glory upside down is not disrespectful
It is being discussed. It is being carried out. It is freedom of speech. It is appropriate.
Displaying Old Glory upside down is a sign of distress, danger and concern for the country.
It is not disrespectful. Displaying a tattered, old or dirty flag is disrespectful, as is dragging the flag on the ground. But there is something in America that is more disrespectful to the flag than those things.
Donald Trump: As our President, his actions and words are very disrespectful to flag and country. Here are some examples.
- His attitude toward women, Hispanics, African-Americans, a whole religion and all types of non-heterosexuals.
- His treatment of those who disagree with him, especially the media.
- His belief in science, or really, the lack thereof.
- What he is trying to do to the great advancements in American ingenuity in alternative energy.
- The gutting of the Clean Air and Clean Water acts.
- His reversal of policy on voting rights.
- His treatment of some of our most important allies.
- His failure to fill hundreds of vacancies, especially vacancies in the State Department, allowing our government to slowly stop governing.
- His blatant nepotism.
- The way he talks of and treats our judicial and intelligence branches.
The list is long and growing longer as time goes on. But perhaps the greatest disrespect he shows is toward the American people and people of the world directly. It’s his lack of respect for the truth.
No one in their right mind would hire, trust or truly believe in someone who mutilates the truth as the 45th president of the United States does daily.
So, if someone flies the American flag upside down, they are not being disrespectful. They are just concerned deeply about their country.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.