Jay Gallagher: County should not bypass public process
On Nov. 22 the Board of County Commissioners approved secondary dwelling units as a use by right for homeowners in the AF, AC and MRE zones.
The BCC has justified its action on SDUs based on the premise that
1) there is a significant demand for SDUs in the county;
2) SDUs can play a significant role in meeting our affordable and attainable housing;
3) SDUs – attached or detached – do not constitute ‘development’ in the county’s definition.
The Routt County Planning Commission, Mr. Woodmansee and Mr. Beall have dismissed the first two in public action, public comment and letters to the editor.
I’d like to address the third — the proposed changes comprise a blanket upzoning in the AF, AC and MRE zones and thereby should be considered as a zoning amendment.
Petitioners for zoning amendments in the county must demonstrate that a zoning amendment meets the prescribed criteria in Section 8.2 of the statutory zoning regulations. Among them…
• The proposed change is consistent with the goals and policies of the Routt County Master Plan.
• The advantages of the amendment outweigh the disadvantages to the county and neighboring lands.
• That adequate facilities such as roads, water and sanitation, fire protection, emergency services and public utilities shall be available.
Why shouldn’t this county-wide upzoning of AF, AC and MRE zones be subject to these same criteria?
The county should not be seen as bypassing the public process of reviewing the master plan and zoning regulations in its pursuit of making these changes.
Former chair, Routt County Planning Commission
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Steamboat Springs has begun refurbishing the two Snake Island pedestrian bridges along the Yampa River Core Trail. The bridges will be closed during the duration of the project, which is expected to continue through Sept.…