Healthy Eating: Veggie quinoa breakfast
February 10, 2018
1/3 cup onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup carrots chopped or shredded
1/2 cup broccoli chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Recommended Stories For You
salt and pepper
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water (or vegetable broth)
1/4 cup water
• In a pot, bring 2 cups water or vegetable broth to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes (or until liquid is evaporated). Let stand and fluff quinoa once fully cooked (quinoa seeds should no longer be white in the center)
• In skillet while quinoa is cooking, heat skillet on medium heat, add olive oil, garlic and onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add carrots, broccoli to skillet and saute for about 3 minutes. Reduce heat, add 1/4 cup water and let simmer while covered for 8-10 minutes. Remove lid, add 2 eggs to broccoli and carrots. Turn off heat when eggs are cooked to your preference. Salt and pepper to taste.
• Combine quinoa and veggies with egg in bowl and top with salsa.
This recipe is a hearty breakfast that packs a powerful protein punch and keeps you full throughout your morning adventures. The recipe is gluten free, vegetarian and Whole30 compliant. You may change this recipe up by choosing any vegetable you have available or adding bacon pieces.
This recipe is provided by Meghan Holpuch, ND, a registered naturopathic doctor in the state of Colorado who serves the community at her practice Sumovia Naturopathic Healthcare in downtown Steamboat Springs.
Trending In: Health
- Iconic Steamboat auctioneer Cookie Lockhart says everything must go
- Steamboat Resort gets final Forest Service approval for additional lifts, expanded terrain
- Steamboat woman recovering after series of strokes, heart attack
- Former Wing-Time owner hoping his new venture will take flight
- Routt County real estate sales total $12.6M for Oct. 5 to 11, 2018