Health briefs: Self-compassion workshop planned
Steamboat Springs — Self-compassion workshop planned
Licensed professional counselor Marchele McCarthy will hold a four-week workshop on self compassion from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays Sept. 20 through Oct. 11. Participants will learn why people often fall into a trap of anxiety, self-doubt, depression and apathy and learn hands-on tools to mindfully transform negative emotional patterns to create more kindness, joy and health in their lives.
Registration is required, and space is limited. Cost is $125. Contact McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-846-8504.
REPS seeks emergency department volunteers
Reaching Everyone Preventing Suicide is collaborating with the Yampa Valley Medical Center to increase the number and presence of volunteers in the hospital emergency department assisting suicidal patients.
The SPA program, created by REPS, enlists advocate volunteers, who give information and support to patients admitted to the ED for suicidal ideation or attempted suicide. SPA volunteers are trained in both REPS and hospital procedures and can volunteer to be on call for as little as one 12-hour shift per month or as many as two shifts per week.
Alzheimer’s Association sponsors support groups
The Alzheimer’s Association sponsors free caregiver information and support groups in Steamboat Springs for those caring for someone with dementia, whether 24/7 or long-distance. These groups offer caregivers the opportunity to gather with others facing similar challenges in a safe, confidential setting. Benefits include finding community resources, understanding challenging behavior, sharing strategies and giving and receiving encouragement. For more information, call 970-879-8942.
The spouse caregiver support group meets from 2 to 3:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month at Rollingstone Respite House, 1500 Pine Grove Road.
A new family and friends caregiver support group also meets from 3 to 4:30 p.m. the third Thursday of each month, also at Rollingstone Respite House.
Variety of support groups meet this week
• A bereavement support group meets from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7629 prior to attending your first meeting.
• A Christian support group for parents of children have died meets at 6:30 p.m. Monday at 27441 Brandon Circle. For more information, call 970-870-7879.
• A domestic violence support group for women meets from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• A depression, anxiety and bipolar support group meets from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Conference Room 2 at Yampa Valley Medical Center, 1024 Central Park Drive. The group provides support, education and tools to help with everyday life. Family and friends are welcome. Call 970-819-6751 for more information.
• The Heartbeat of Steamboat support group meets Thursdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Rollingstone Respite House, 480 Rollingstone Drive. The group is for those who have lost a loved one or friend.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User