Health briefs: Casey’s Pond hosts community happy hour
Steamboat Springs — Casey’s Pond hosts community happy hour
Casey’s Pond Distinctive Senior Living hosts a happy hour from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. the last Thursday of each month at the community, 2855 Owl Hoot Trail. Food, wine and beer are available, along with the opportunity to see old friends or meet new ones. Attendees can learn more about life at Casey’s Pond and receive a tour of the community. An upcoming happy hour event is scheduled for May 26. RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-879-8855.
Gluten-free tasting expo, seminar planned
Natural Grocers will sponsor a gluten-free tasking expo and health fair beginning at 3 p.m. June 17 at the store, 335 Lincoln Ave. Win door prizes and sample gluten-free products, including food, vitamins, body care products and more, from 3 to 5 p.m. At 5 p.m., a seminar on gluten-free living will begin. Learn shopping tips and meal planning for successful gluten-free living. Learn basics, cooking tips and hear advice on dietary supplements for nutritional support.
VNA offers healthy sleep tips for children
Good sleep is essential for healthy growth and development. Research shows children who do not get enough sleep can be irritable and are more likely to be obese and perform poorly in school. The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association offers the following tips to help children sleep well.
• Establish regular naptime and bedtime routines.
• Avoid cutting back on naps to get children to sleep through the night — they will become overly tired and sleep poorly.
• Turn off TV and other screens at least one hour before bedtime, and keep your child’s room a screen-free zone.
• Put children to bed drowsy to help them learn to fall asleep on their own. Learning to fall asleep independently will help them put themselves back to sleep when they wake at night.
• Do not put them to bed with a bottle or sippy cup — it’s bad for their sleep and their teeth.
• Help your child sleep with a cool room (less than 75 degrees), a bedtime story and calming music.
• The National Sleep Foundation recommends toddlers age 1 and 2 get 11 to 14 hours of sleep (including naps). Children ages 3 to 5 should get 10 to 13 hours of sleep.
The Northwest Colorado VNA’s Women, Infants and Children program offers nutrition counseling, supplemental healthy foods, breastfeeding support and additional education for qualified families. For more information, call 970-871-7653.
Variety of support groups meet this week
• A bereavement support group meets from 1 to 2 p.m. Mondays at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7629 prior to attending the first meeting.
• A domestic violence support group for women meets from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• The Steamboat Meditation Recovery Group meets at 5:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Buddhist Center of Steamboat Springs, 2250 Copper Frontage Road, No. 202. The group also hosts recovery-based yoga at 4:30 p.m. The group will explore recovery through meditation, book study and open discussion. Meetings are open to all faiths and addictions. For more information, call 720-670-8642.
• A Caregiver Cancer Support Group meets from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Sundays in the community room at Natural Grocers, 355 Lincoln Ave. For more information, call 970-846-4717.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User