Health briefs: Back to school immunization clinic this week
August 16, 2015
VNA hold back to school immunization clinics
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association will hold an immunization clinic for K-12 students 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday at Steamboat Springs Middle School. Additional clinics will be held 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. August 24 at Steamboat Springs Middle School. All recommended and required vaccinations (including varicella) will be available. Please bring vaccine record and insurance card. No one will be refused a recommended vaccine due to inability to pay. Low cost routine immunizations for all ages also are available during drop-in immunization clinics, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Steamboat VNA, 940 Central Park Drive, Suite 101 or by appointment. Call 970-879-1632.
Rubber Ducky Race is September 12
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association will hold a Rubber Ducky Race fundraiser 11 a.m. September 12 at the 5th Street Bridge. The race will end at West Lincoln Park where there will be a celebration with children's activities and food vendors. Ticket holders of the first 25 ducks that cross the finish line will receive cash prizes totaling $5,000. Tickets are $10, and proceeds benefit the VNA's Hospice and Palliative Care program. You don't need to be present to win. Tickets can be purchased online at nwcovna.org/rubberducky.org. Tickets also are available at the VNA, 940 Central Park Drive, Suite 101 or Yampa Valley Bank, 600 South Lincoln Avenue. For more information, call 970-871-7609.
VNA seeks volunteers
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association is seeking volunteers interested in helping with events and other needs throughout the nonprofit health organization. Opportunities include assisting with the upcoming Rubber Ducky Race on September 12 and other fundraisers, sharing crafts and activities with seniors at The Haven Assisted Living Center and helping with administrative duties or landscaping/maintenance at The Haven and Rollingtone Respite House. Volunteers also are needed to assist the Hospice program. They may provide support to hospice patients (training required) or assist hospice families by making meals or running errands. Positions can be tailored to volunteers' unique skills and experience. For more information, visit nwcovna.org/volunteer or call VNA volunteer coordinator Mindy Marriott at 970-871-7609.
Recommended Stories For You
The Haven is accepting new residents
The Haven Assisted Living Center in Hayden is accepting new residents. The 20-bed nonprofit assisted living facility is owned and operated by the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association. Private and semi-private rooms are available. Services include meals, housekeeping, exercise classes and social activities. Additional amenities and care options are available. Medicaid is accepted. The Haven also offers respite care for adults who need temporary assisted living care. For more information, call 970-875-1888 or visit havenseniorliving.com.
Support groups meeting this week:
• A bereavement support group will meet from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7628 prior to attending your first meeting.
• A domestic violence support group for women is from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• A Heartbeat Suicide Survivor support group meeting is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Yampa Valley Medical Center's Integrated Health campus, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave. The group is for survivors to learn skills to help manage grief. Enroll by calling 970-846-8182.
• A depression, anxiety and bipolar support group will meet from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Conference Room 2 at Yampa Valley Medical Center, 1024 Central Park Drive. The group provides support, education and tools to help with everyday life. Family and friends are welcome. Call 970-819-2232 for more information.
• A Parkinson’s care partners meeting for those who care for people with Parkinson’s disease is from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday. For the meeting location, call 970-879-0518