Hayden volleyball wins, while football falls to Rangely
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — As the Hayden High School volleyball and football teams traveled to Rangely to compete in conference matches, just the volleyball team came home with a victory on Friday, Oct. 11.
The Tigers volleyball team won 3-2 after dropping the first set 25-17. Hayden responded with a 25-19 victory before falling again 25-14 in the third. The Tigers forced a fifth set with a 25-10 win in the fourth.
Hayden won out 15-10 to collect its fourth straight conference win.
The girls in orange are now 8-6 overall and 5-4 against 2A Western Slope opponents. They are 41st in the RPI standings with four matches remaining in the regular season.
Meanwhile, the football team suffered its third consecutive loss as they fell 30-12 to Rangely.
The teams were tied at 6-6 after the first quarter, but the Panthers tacked on 10 points in the second to lead 16-6 at the half.
Two more touchdowns ballooned the lead to 30-6 after three. The Tigers added another score in the fourth while holding off the Panthers.
Hayden hosts West Grand for homecoming Friday, Oct. 18, and has two more games after that. The Tigers’ 2-4 overall record and 1-3 conference record puts them in 33rd in the 8-man RPI standings.
Friday, Oct. 11
Hayden 3, Rangely 2
H 17 25 14 25 15 — 3
R 25 19 25 20 10 — 2
Hayden volleyball schedule
- Aug. 27: at Moffat County, W 17-25, 25-14, 26-24, 25-23
- Sept. 6-7: Rangely Tournament
- Sept. 14: at Hotchkiss, L 3-1
- Sept. 19: vs. Meeker, L 3-0.
- Sept. 20: at Vail Mountain, L 3-0
- Sept. 27: at Vail Christian, L 3-2
- Sept. 28: vs. Plateau Valley, W 3-1
- Oct. 3: vs. Soroco, W 3-2
- Oct. 4: at DeBeque, W 3-1
- Oct. 11: at Rangely, W 3-2
- Oct. 18: vs. West Grand, L 3-0
- Oct. 19: vs. Little Snake River, L 3-0
- Oct. 25: at Paonia, L 3-1
- Oct. 26: at Caprock, W 3-0
- Nov. 1, 2: Western Slope District Tournament 3-1
Rangely 30, Hayden 12
H 6 0 0 6 — 12
R 6 10 14 0 — 30
Hayden Tigers football schedule
- Sept. 7: at Justice, W 68-6.
- Sept. 13: vs. Simla, L 20-16.
- Sept. 20: at Gilpin, W 36-28
- Sept. 27: vs. Plateau Valley, L 20-18
- Oct. 4: at Vail Christian, L 54-16
- Oct. 11: at Rangely, L 30-12
- Oct. 18: vs. West Grand, L 40-0
- Oct. 26: at Denver Christian, 1 p.m.
- Nov. 1: vs. Soroco, W 38-18
To reach Shelby Reardon, call 970-871-4253, email sreardon@SteamboatPilot.com or follow her on Twitter @ByShelbyReardon.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Maryliz Gail sighed in relief for the first time in nearly a year Friday morning.