Hayden-Soroco 800-meter duel to highlight state track as 2 dozen local athletes, 10 relay teams set to compete
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Routt County high school athletes could have a huge weekend at the state track and field championships, which are set to begin Thursday morning at JeffCo Stadium in Lakewood. Steamboat Springs, Hayden and Soroco high schools will send 23 athletes in individual events and 10 relay teams to the three days of competitions.
No event seems more likely to feature a thrilling Northwest Colorado series of highlights than the girls Class 2A 800-meter run, which will feature two of the top athletes in the area and the state going head to head.
Hayden sophomore Hannah Wilkie is the defending state champion in the distance, and she’ll try to hold off Soroco senior Chloe Veulleix. Wilkie enters the race with the No. 1 seed, the top time in the class in the state this season, 2 minutes, 18.27 seconds. Veilleux is No. 2 at 2:20.13.
The pair has only raced against each other twice despite each figuring prominently in the event through the last two springs. They were scheduled for a battle at last year’s state championships until weather shifted the meet to a two-day, Saturday-Sunday format, and Veilleux opted not to compete in any Sunday events.
They did run in the same race earlier this month in Grand Junction with Wilkie taking a narrow victory of less than two seconds.
In all, seven local athletes will enter their races as the top seeds. Wilkie is there in the 800 in 2A, and Steamboat’s Maggi Congdon will compete in Class 3A.
Soroco’s Ben Kelley has the top time in both of his events, the 800, where he holds the 2A state meet record and is actually already a two-time state champ, and the 1,600, which he also won a year ago. He opted not to run in the two other individual events in which he was qualified, the 3,200, which he also won a year ago, and the 400.
Soroco’s Mattie Rossi has the top time in the 2A 100 hurdles after finishing second in that race last year and Grant Redmond will be back to defend his high jump state championship, again seeded as the No. 1 jumper.
Steamboat’s Eric Casey will also be vying for a state championship, and he enters the 3A boys pole vault with the best mark.
Athlete, class, event, seed, time
- Hannah Wilkie, sophomore: 800-meter run, 1st, 2:18.27; 400, 10th, 1:01.04
- Leah Carrouth, freshman: 1,600 run, 13th, 5:52.80
- Faith Day, junior: high jump, 17th, 4-10
- Kimberly Verastica, freshman: discus, 17th, 104-04
- Hayden girls: 800 sprint medley relay, 14th, 1:56.67; 1,600 relay, 17th, 4.24.65
- Chris Carrouth, junior: 800 run, 11th, 2:03.20; 1,600 run, 10th, 4:46.38; 3,200 run, 17th, 10:43.02
- Alan Aguirre, senior: 100 dash, 12th, 11.63
- Wyatt Mortenson, freshman: 3,200 run, 16th, 10:42.92
- Dawson Herfurth, senior: high jump, 12th, 5-10
- Mattie Rossi, senior: 100 hurdles, 1st, 15.15; 300 hurdles, 4th, 48.32; 400 dash, 11th, 1:01.08
- Charlee Veilleux, senior: 100 hurdles, 9th, 16.78; 300 hurles, third, 47.58
- Chloe Veilleux, junior: 800 run, 2nd, 2:20.13; 1,600 run, 2nd, 5:24.58;
- Kourtney Bruner, sophomore: 200 dash, 12th, 27.15; triple jump, 13th, 32-10.5
- Soroco girls: 400 relay, 18th, 53.14; 800 relay, 14th, 1:51.59; 1,600 relay, 5th, 5:15.76; 800 sprint medley relay, 3rd, 1:54.47
- Ben Kelley, senior: 800 run, 1st, 1:54.43; 1,600, 1st, 4:17.23
- Grant Redmond, junior: high jump, 1st, 6-6.5
- Kendall Hood, senior: long jump, 16th, 19-8
- Harrison Ashley, senior: pole vault, 17th, 10-8
- Schuyler Carlson, senior: shot put, 5th, 45-4; discus, 15th, 128-10
- Maggi Congdon, sophomore: 800 run, 1st, 2:15.16; 1,600 run, 2nd, 5:11.00
- Winter Boese, junior: 800 run, 12th, 2:21.69; 1,600 run, 12th, 5:23.20
- Marcada Baker, freshman: 800 run, 18th, 2:24.96; long jump, 18th, 16-00
- Steamboat girls: 1,600 relay, 9th, 4:13.80; 3,200 relay, 10th, 10:08.97
- Zach Gollnick, senior: 100 dash, 18th, 11.44
- Eric Casey, junior: pole vault, 1st, 13-2
- Jack Tracy, sophomore: discus, 10th, 142-6
- Steamboat boys: 400 relay, 12th, 44.80; 800 relay, 7th, 1:32.25
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.