Former Steamboat teacher, facing prison sentence, arrested again |

Former Steamboat teacher, facing prison sentence, arrested again

Crime and Courts

A former Steamboat Springs High School industrial arts teacher facing prison time was arrested again Thursday morning on suspicion of stealing a dirt bike.

Dustin "Dusty" Dike, 44, was arrested on suspicion of felony second-degree burglary and felony aggravated motor vehicle theft.

He was advised of his rights Thursday by Judge James Garrecht.

"I'm trying hard to deal with my health and legal issues," Dike said. "This was just me being … ” and stopped talking.

He did not say what health issue he was dealing with.

Dike was still employed with the school district when he was first arrested June 16, 2016, after police suspected him of stealing a $75,000 backhoe.

Recommended Stories For You

Steamboat police then discovered evidence that led them to believe Dike had committed other crimes. Police believe Dike burglarized a ski shop in Gondola Square as well as a business on 13th Street, which reported $7,000 worth of items had been stolen.

Dustin Dike

As part of a plea deal, Dike pleaded guilty to felony theft and misdemeanor first-degree criminal tampering June 15.
He is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 24.

The standard prison sentence for felony theft is between two and six years.

The latest arrest stems from a dirt bike being reported stolen May 17 from Steamboat Powersports. A manager realized the bike was missing while doing inventory.
The bike, which was an orange 2017 KTM 250, was being stored in a shipping container inside a locked fenced-in area.

On Monday, an off-duty police officer saw Dike hauling two bikes, one of which looked like the stolen bike, according to the arrest affidavit.

On Thursday morning, an off-duty officer spotted the bike in Dike's driveway on Gilpin Street, according to the arrest affidavit. The officer checked the VIN and confirmed it was the stolen bike, the affidavit states.

Police interviewed Dike at his home, and Dike told them he bought the bike from someone in Texas. He said he had it for a month and a half and then said he had it for three months.

Dike was arrested, and he again spoke to officers at the jail.

According to the affidavit, Dike apologized and stated he actually found the bike on Emerald Mountain in early spring after crashing his mountain bike. He said he moved the bike about 60 feet and propped it up and waited for the owner to retrieve it.

Dike said he later returned to the bike, and it was still there, so he took it, the affidavit states.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247, email or follow him on Twitter @SBTStensland.