Fire guts Pine Street house | SteamboatToday.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fire guts Pine Street house

A fire broke out at about 10:45 a.m. on Sunday at the corner of Pine and Seventh streets.
courtesy Tom Alexander

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Around 10:45 a.m. on Sunday, Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters responded to a structure fire at the intersection of Seventh and Pine streets.

Tom Alexander, a neighbor across the street, said he saw flames and smoke shooting out the window and a young boy running out of the house.

Interim Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue Chief Chuck Cerasoli said the boy and his father were inside the house when the fire started. Both were transported to the hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation, he said.

Cerasoli said the father, who drives a snowplow, was napping, and it was the boy who was first alerted to the fire.

Support Local Journalism


The family, which also includes a mother, who was not a home at the time of the fire, is currently displaced. Cerasoli said he is working with Routt County Crisis Support to ensure their immediate needs are met.

The boy and his father were trying to locate a kitten, Cerasoli said. The kitten has not been found as of midday Sunday, but Cerasoli said he remains hopeful.

In an attached portion of the same building out of which a single unit Airbnb is operated, Cerasoli said there was only a dog inside. A passerby saw the flames and heard the dog barking. He then knocked down the door and got the dog safely out.

Firefighters battle blaze on Pine Street.
courtesy Tom Alexander

Cerasoli said he was the first official to arrive on the scene, after which a fire engine arrived, hooked up to a hydrant and extinguished the fire.

How to help

Colorado Group Realty, at 509 Lincoln Ave. in Steamboat Springs, is currently accepting donations for the family. Call 970-870-8800 for more information.

While they do not yet know the cause of the fire, Cerasoli said he believes it originated in the kitchen.

The outer structure may or may not be salvageable, Cerasoli said, but the contents appear to be a total loss. The portion being rented as an Airbnb appears to have sustained less damage, he said.

For the second Sunday morning in a row, after a fire broke out last week at the Steamboat Smokehouse, Cerasoli said his crew, again, did a “phenomenal” job in their response.

Contents likely a total loss at Sunday morning structure fire, according to authorities.
Kari Dequine Harden

To reach Kari Dequine Harden, call 970-871-4205, email kharden@SteamboatPilot.com or follow her on Twitter @kariharden.


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User