Feed the hungry with a walk
20,000 people die every day because they don't have enough to eat
The Steamboat Springs community is coming together to fight a worldwide problem Saturday — hunger.
In the United States, 35 million people suffer from food insecurity, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Worldwide, 20,000 people die every day from malnutrition.
Steamboat Springs is joining other groups across America for the “Crop Walk,” in which volunteers seek donations to combat the hunger problem. Participants will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Meadows parking lot, walking about four miles on the Yampa River Core Trail to the Stock Bridge Transit Center.
“The walk brings people together as we support people in our town and in the world,” said Tim Selby, one of the organizers of the event and associate pastor at the United Methodist Church. “It is also a sign of solidarity. We don’t walk away from hunger. We don’t turn our backs.”
After the walk, a complimentary lunch will be served, thanks to the Routt County CattleWomen and Routt County Woolgrowers.
The Crop Walk will be held rain or shine or snow, Selby said.
“There are people hungry all over the world, and they don’t just stop being hungry when it rains,” Selby said.
Walkers are encouraged to wear red and white to show the unification of the group, Selby said. People of all ages are encouraged to participate.
Of the proceeds, 25 percent will benefit LIFT-UP Food Bank, and the other 75 percent will benefit global relief efforts. Participants can choose from a list of about 20 organizations to which the money they raise can be donated.
“We have such a great supportive and generous community,” Selby said. “It will be great to bring families together.”
Luther Berntson, a member of the Concordia Lutheran Church, has been involved in Crop Walks in other communities, and said it is a great event not just for providing food to the hungry but bringing families and communities together.
“I think it’s real inspirational to see people walking together, and I think our community fits in well with our (Lutheran) theology to help one another,” Berntson said.
Selby said this inaugural Crop Walk was especially important because of the economy’s impact on supplies at the food bank.
Selby said he is optimistic there will be a good turnout and strong fund-raising for the event.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The Routt County Board of Commissioners on Tuesday denied Sheriff Garrett Wiggins’ request to hire another deputy that would serve as a school resource officer in two schools in the Steamboat Springs School District.