Douglas Bruce: Demand true reform on Y and Z
Readers can study a two-page essay against the gerrymandering of Amendments Y and Z by visiting 13issues.com, which also has a voter guide and essays on tax and debt issues 73, 109 and 110.
First, learn a few facts on Y and Z.
• Y and Z replace 1,313 words in the state constitution with 12,390 words. That is almost a 10-fold increase on one small subject — a 16 percent jump in our 72,000-word Constitution. Politicians said in 2016 our state constitution was too long, so citizens virtually surrendered their right to petition to amend it.
• Patricia Stryker, co-leader of the Gang of Four, has tried to purge legislative Republicans since 2004. She gave $600,000 to pass Y and Z. Another billionaire also gave $600,000. The National Education Association gave $200,000. Did they have religious conversions to seek fairness for the GOP? No, it’s just a con that tricked gullible GOP leaders — sheep. Why did a group in Texas give $262,000 and an obscure “fund” give $300,000? This is not about fairness but raping our electoral system — not for one election but for decades. Apart from rigging the State Legislature, it will lock in six Democrat seats and two GOP seats in our congressional delegation. These issues have national impact.
• Minor party members are barred from participating in this civic process — “separate and unequal.” Change Libertarian to “black,” green to “Hispanic” and Constitution Party to “woman.” This gross political discrimination looks like poll taxes, literacy tests and separate restrooms historically used to oppress and denigrate minorities. It will be official policy in our state Constitution. Is that the Colorado you want?
• Y and Z demand voter registration data to draw district lines that have just enough Republicans — to come in second. The Supreme Court says that is illegal. The goal must be compact districts of equal population. Instead of voters choosing their leaders, they want leaders to choose their voters. Don’t fall for it.
• Politicians pick the “nonpartisan staff” that draws the lines. Liberals picked the judges who will screen commissioner applicants. Connect the dots. Readers must alert everyone on their social media and email lists, church members, co-workers and all other contacts in Colorado. Don’t be fooled by the $2.5 million ad blitz.
Demand true reform before the census by voting “no.” Maybe the “vision” in Denver will improve in 20-20.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.