Man suspected of sexual assault
March 11, 2016
Steamboat Springs — A 31-year-old man was arrested Friday in relation to a Steamboat Springs rape case dating back to 2014.
The rape reportedly occurred June 1, 2014. The victim told police she met two men at a dance, and they all went back to one of the men’s house to continue drinking.
The victim told police she remembered feeling drunk, and everything went blurry.
The victim was upset after she woke up the next morning. Her clothes were on, but her underwear was on the floor. The victim felt sore.
When she went home, she put her clothes in a plastic bag.
Recommended Stories For You
When the victim spoke to the suspect, the suspect denied anything sexual had happened.
After police were contacted, a detective found biological stains on the clothes.
Police interviewed the suspect, and he denied having sex with the victim.
Police received a court order, which allowed them to obtain a DNA sample from the suspect. After this, the suspect made the comment “no bueno.”
Police sent the suspect’s clothing and DNA samples to a lab. Sperm on the victim’s jeans matched the DNA of the suspect, according to an affidavit filed with the Routt County Court.
After police received the test results, they learned they no longer had good contact information for the victim. After receiving new contact information for the victim, police were able to arrest the suspect on suspicion of felony sexual assault.
Trending In: Crime & Courts
- Cedar Beauregard: New bike trails are destroying elk habitat
- Hayden community mourns death of high school wrestling coach
- Firefighters, residents work to save communities from Silver Creek Fire
- Crews battle 4 wildfires across Northwest Colorado, including new fire near Wyoming border
- Ryan Fire in Routt and Medicine Bow National Forests grows to 1,800 acres in a day