Community continues to help with Steamboat school lunch delivery
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — This week, UCHealth Yampa Valley Medical Center, in collaboration with several other community organizations, will continue to prepare and distribute brown bag lunches to Steamboat Springs School District students.
On Friday, April 17, one of the district’s essential employees who works on the food preparation team tested positive for COVID-19, causing the district to suspend the program for the day.
Last week, which was spring break, the local hospital and a few community partners stepped in to provide lunches. And when the hospital offered to continue providing lunches this week, school district officials said they appreciated additional time to ensure public safety and have offered to reimburse the food cost.
At this time, there is currently no evidence connecting the transmission of COVID-19 to food or food packaging, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
The hospital staff are preparing about 440 meals each day. Last Friday, Papa Murphy’s brought 400 mini pizzas to the hospital to be distributed with the lunches.
All students are welcome to participate in the lunch program.
Families should look for the white school district bus and can pick up the meals according to the following schedule:
No. 1 distribution sites on the west side of town:
• 11 to 11:20 a.m., Anchor Way Church parking lot, 40650 Anchor Way
• 11:25 to 11:45 a.m., Heritage Park, U.S. Highway 40 and Brandon Circle
• 11:50 a.m. to 12:10 p.m., Sleepy Bear Mobile Home Park, 29035 U.S. Highway 40
• 12:15 to 12:35 p.m., White Haven Mobile Home Park, 29935 U.S. Highway 40
No. 2 distribution sites in the west/central area of town:
• 11 to 11:20 a.m., Dream Island, 1315 Dream Island Plaza
• 11:25 to 11:45 a.m., The Reserves of Steamboat Springs, 2000 Elk River Road
• 11:50 a.m. to 12:10 p.m., West Acres Mobile Home Park, 2900 West Acres Drive
• 11 a.m. to noon, Steamboat Springs High School athletic entrance, 45 E. Maple St.
No. 3 distribution sites in the mountain area:
• 11 to 11:20 a.m., Shadow Run Condominiums, 2900 Whistler Road
• 11:25 to 11:45 a.m., Mountain Village Apartments, 1101 Mountain Village Circle
• 11:50 a.m. to 12:10 p.m., Fish Creek Mobile Home Park, 75 Anglers Drive
To reach Kari Dequine Harden, call 970-871-4205, email kharden@SteamboatPilot.com or follow her on Twitter @kariharden.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Now in his fourth month as a Routt County Commissioner, Tim Redmond has yet to participate in a meeting held in the old courtroom on the third floor of the historic Routt…