Cari Hermacinski: Concrete changes to benefit all citizens
This November, I am asking the citizens of Routt County to re-elect me as a county commissioner.
As a fifth-generation native of the Yampa Valley, an attorney and a businesswoman in the telecommunications industry, I have a longterm commitment to our county and an experienced professional background. My past record of public service at the planning, municipal and county commissioner levels demonstrates a depth of experience. I am fiscally sensible, a champion for open and service-oriented government and solidly support business advancement and private property rights. Perhaps most important, I am a customer-service oriented commissioner. I am immediately responsive to citizens who believe their government is not serving them appropriately and work quickly to implement solutions.
During my time as a Routt County commissioner I have delivered, along with other positive outcomes, these eight concrete results to citizens in our county:
• I succeeded in updating our land-use code to allow more property owners to construct secondary units. This allows for the creation of more affordable housing, an additional source of income, support of the tiny home movement and aging in place.
• I received an appointment from Gov. John Hickenlooper to serve on the statewide board which determines how energy tax dollars are returned to local communities. My voice has been a strong one on this board to make sure that monies are returned to energy-producing communities.
• I succeeded in getting Routt County included in the State of Colorado’s Rural Jump Start. The program is for energy impacted counties that provides tax relief for businesses that create new jobs. Routt County was originally excluded by state regulators from the program. I was able to convince the state to consider additional data demonstrating the impact of the decline of the energy industry in Routt County.
• I pressed Routt County to change its policy to allow wireless carriers to collocate on county owned facilities, including Farwell in North Routt and King Mountain in South Routt. My specialized background in the private sector wireless industry helped facilitate this change.
• I was elected to the executive committee of the Associated Governments of Northwest Colorado, which has a powerful voice developed through local government collaboration at the state capital protecting our Western Slope priorities and Routt County’s budget.
• I collaborated with the city of Steamboat Springs and the Routt County Sheriff’s Office to build a joint law enforcement facility. Collaboration among local government entities ensures that our tax dollars are used more efficiently to do more to serve citizens.
• I pressed for Routt County to be among the first 10 Colorado counties to adopt C-PACE, a private-sector program that finances environmentally beneficial construction improvements.
• I championed a health services comparison program to help control Routt County’s insurance costs. Routt County is self insured and like all businesses is experiencing quickly escalating health insurance costs. The newly implemented program encourages employees to consider different providers for elective procedures and when a lower cost provider is utilized the employee and Routt County taxpayers split the savings.
During my time in office, I can point to concrete changes that have been made at the county level of government that benefit all citizens. Our families and businesses will continue to face challenges in the coming years, and in my continued role as Routt County commissioner, I will make essential decisions and provide the concrete results required for the long-term success of Routt County. I ask that you support my efforts with your vote.
Thank you for your consideration,
Routt County commissioner Republican incumbent
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User