Bird starts 10-acre fire in North Routt | SteamboatToday.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Bird starts 10-acre fire in North Routt

— A turkey vulture sparked a 10-acre fire in North Routt on Monday morning after it landed on a power line, causing sparks to shower to the ground.

North Routt Fire Protection District Chief Bob Riley said the fire began at about 11:25 a.m. in the 25000 block of Routt County Road 52E on agricultural and residential land.

The fire, which consumed about 10 acres, was extinguished before it could spread farther, he said.



A home was threatened by the fire, but was not damaged, he said.

Riley said officials found the dead turkey vulture underneath the power lines. Birds typically land on the electrical poles’ cross posts and don’t make much contact with the wires, he said. However, if a bird makes enough contact with the wires, it could create sparks, which is what officials think happened Monday.



Firefighters with the North Routt Fire Protection District and the U.S. Forest Service extinguished the fire quickly and had the area cleaned up by 6 p.m., he said.

No other damage or injuries were reported.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User