Beware risks of deadly hantavirus illness while spring cleaning | SteamboatToday.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Beware risks of deadly hantavirus illness while spring cleaning

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Residents should wear rubber gloves and use disinfectant when cleaning areas inhabited by rodents, according to a news release from Northwest Colorado Health.

People can be infected by hantavirus, a rare but potentially fatal respiratory illness, by breathing in dirt and dust contaminated with deer mouse urine and feces. While cleaning, do not stir up dust by sweeping or vacuuming, and spray rodent urine, droppings or nesting materials with disinfectant or a bleach and water solution before wiping up.

Symptoms of hantavirus are fatigue, fever, muscle aches, headaches, dizziness, chills and abdominal problems. Anyone who is experiencing these symptoms and has been exposed to rodents should seek medical attention immediately.

Find more information at cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User